cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Other College Sports

Old 02-04-2008, 06:57 PM   #11
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Where does 60% come from? The article says 6 times since the start of school in the Fall. That puts it down around 30% at most.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 06:59 PM   #12
livecoug

livecoug is an unknown quantity at this point

the article states 6 times out of 11. so 55%.
livecoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 07:02 PM   #13
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Smails View Post
I don't have time to read everybody's opinion on the baseball player getting kicked out of BYU for his 60% church attendance and not requesting a calling, but if anyone's buying that I've got a bridge...

I don't have any inside scoop to the situation, but if I may be so brash as to speculate, let me make a hypothesis:

Said baseballer (we have baseball at BYU??) sticks his dick where it doesn't belong (or where it does belong depending upon your point of view). Baseballer meets with Bishop. Bishop refuses to sign ecclesiastical endorsement.

So baller has to tell his parents he was kicked out of BYU. Dad says 'why'? Baller, to save face, lies to Dad, telling him it was for "church attendance". Father runs to media, BYU knows nothing, Bishop can't say anything. Suddenly, headlines read "BYU kicks out baseball player for skipping church". Kid won't comment, mostly because he lied about the situation, and the Bishop knows it, the SP knows it, the joint copulator knows it and well as his friends he bragged to about said copulation.

Now, doesn't that make more sense than this BS Trib story.

Again, I don't know what transgression the kid committed. My story was purely hypothetical, but I'm guessing it was more than ditching out on Elder's Quorum. Color me skeptical.
I am hypothetically guessing your head is up your butt, judge.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 07:05 PM   #14
K-dog

K-dog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
I had a Bishop at BYU call me into his office to ask me why I didn't go to Church. He told me he wouldn't sign my EE if I didn't attend. I told him I had only missed sacrament once the whole semester. He didn't believe me and made me say hi to him every Sunday for a month before he would sign my EE. I'm not surprised some might fight that time of crap instead of accomadate.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
K-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 07:08 PM   #15
Judge Smails

Judge Smails is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Heh. "Absent any evidence, how about I just make something up?"

Nice.
You're right. I'm a pioneer. I've officially broken the message board speculation barrier. Everyone please feel free now.

I love how many on this board are quick to accept the father's speculation (and let's be honest - it's speculation) as gospel, and criticize anyone who presents a more realistic scenario, even when they admitting they're speculating.

I'm not saying the kid committed fornication. If I was guessing, I would say it was more likely beastiality. I saw his picture - he just looks like that kind of guy.

Listen, people make mistakes. Good people commit a variety of sins. I'm one of them. I'm not out to hammer the kid. I hope everything works out for him and he uses the atonement in his life as I try to in mine. If people would just read the story and withhold judgment, I'd stay silent on the topic, but to just bash BYU and this bishop without ever hearing the other side is flat out wrong. Again, they could be completely at fault. But it just doesn't add up for me.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:11 PM   #16
myboynoah

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecoug View Post
the article states 6 times out of 11. so 55%.
Wasn't that according to the father? He's obviously making his case, so I don't really trust his figures. That whole "didn't come in and ask for a calling" thing doesn't make sense, so I wonder if it means he didn't accept a calling.

From September - December there would be at least 16 Sundays.

Most seem very willing to take the kid's side, dismissing the Bishop as some kind of overbearing jerk. Oddly, I've met more jerk athletes (innumerable) than I have jerk Mormon Bishops (possibly one).

As I've said before, maintaining an EE is simple. Probably a breakdown in communication, in which case the student better do everything he/she can to fill the void.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:11 PM   #17
Judge Smails

Judge Smails is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
And I tend to think you're a dirty old man.

One of us is probably right.

<Hypothetically speaking of course>

Last edited by Judge Smails; 02-04-2008 at 07:13 PM.
Judge Smails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 07:12 PM   #18
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Good people commit a variety of sins. I'm one of them.
Oh, so now bad people only commit one type of sin! Not only are they bad people, but their sins lack creativity.

What variety of sins do you commit? Give us some examples.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 07:13 PM   #19
myboynoah

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-dog View Post
I had a Bishop at BYU call me into his office to ask me why I didn't go to Church. He told me he wouldn't sign my EE if I didn't attend. I told him I had only missed sacrament once the whole semester. He didn't believe me and made me say hi to him every Sunday for a month before he would sign my EE. I'm not surprised some might fight that time of crap instead of accomadate.
But you did.

Old 02-04-2008, 07:14 PM   #20
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
And I tend to think you're a dirty old man.

One of us is probably right.
I know for a fact one of us is right.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote