cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books

Old 06-25-2008, 09:25 PM   #11
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
The movie (and book) did an admiral job of attempting to glorify the exploits of a kid who was a complete idiot. He was bound to die young one way or another.

But the scenery and music were cool.
Glorify? I wouldn't say that. I thought the movie (I cant speak to the book having not read it) did a good job of showing his mistakes (taking only rice to eat, not listening to the adults he met on his travels), his naivety (thinking he is going to use a .22 to bring down big game, not having any sort of snow shoes, the driver gives him rubber boots) and his regret (remember him writing "Happiness is real only when shared?) in his decisions.

I will agree the kid, as portrayed in the movie, was a pompous ignorant fool.
"Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State. "
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 09:29 PM   #12
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
Glorify? I wouldn't say that. I thought the movie (I cant speak to the book having not read it) did a good job of showing his mistakes (taking only rice to eat, not listening to the adults he met on his travels), his naivety (thinking he is going to use a .22 to bring down big game, not having any sort of snow shoes, the driver gives him rubber boots) and his regret (remember him writing "Happiness is real only when shared?) in his decisions.

I will agree the kid, as portrayed in the movie, was a pompous ignorant fool.
He comes out looking even worse in the book.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:39 PM   #13
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
The movie (and book) did an admiral job of attempting to glorify the exploits of a kid who was a complete idiot. He was bound to die young one way or another.

LOL. Were his parents Mormons who drove him to it?

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 10:04 PM   #14
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
No. But they were incredibly narcissistic and career-obsessed. It is actually a pretty interesting case study of a dysfunctional family. Quite sad though.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:04 PM   #15
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like Grizzley Man. As I've said before, I started hoping the bears would eat the guy about 15 minutes in. My prayers were answered.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 12:17 AM   #16
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I read the book and watched the movie and Lebowski pretty much exactly sums up my thoughts.

The scenery was great, though, and I loved hearing Vetter's voice passim.
Old 06-26-2008, 04:31 AM   #17
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Perhaps his parents were Jewish. Ever thought of that?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 04:55 AM   #18
Hsaru

Hsaru is on a distinguished road

I liked it, but I couldn't tell if Sean Penn was actually trying to make us feel sorry for the kid because he didn't have ideal parents even though they paid his way through everything including college. I only felt bad for him at the end of the movie, I have to imagine Penn realized this is how most people would feel.
Hsaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 04:23 PM   #19
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

http://outside.away.com/outside/feat...he_wild_1.html

I suppose this is the original article K. wrote for Outside Magazine.

A photo of McCandless holding his farewell note, before he died.

I went to sleep last night tossing and turning with McCandless on my mind.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 12:41 AM   #20
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

yet another accusation from someone who was acquainted with the subject of Krakauer's book, who says Krakauer gets it all wrong, for Krakauer's own purposes.

Quote:
I just finished reading Into The Wild after recognizing I had attended Emory Univ together (I graduated 2 years earlier). Although I find Krakauer to be a very talented writer I also find his descriptive protrayal of Chris very limited much to my chagrin. To say I knew Chris is to say I had a class with him and knew of his editorials in the "Wheel" but my own recollection is not as an outgoing, funny well adjusted guy. Much to the contrary, he seemed to be depressed, reclusive or as some might say, a loner. My opinion doesn't take away from the the seriousness of the book, it just makes me wonder how much literary license Krakauer has used either to sell books or to help comfort his family in grief.
I suspect Chris' lack of close family bonds is likely as result of chronic depression and his rebellious behaviour is manifestation of these thoughts/beliefs. It was noteworthy that none of the pictures supplied to the author by Chris' own sister ever showed him smiling. Indeed, I looked up his picture in my Emory yearbook and again, no smile. In fact it interesting that he is the ONLY person not smiling on the page!
I'm not critical of Chris trying to "find" himself in the wilderness as many young people often search for something similar; however, as many experience survival experts have already pointed out, it was an ill concieved plan by an inexperienced person which eventually led to his tragic death. This cannot be denied. And it is very sad.
However, Krakauer is missing the real tragedy here; Chris was mentally sick and needed serious psychological help which might have prevented this tragic end and it is here that the author fails in my opinion. To compare his climb of Devil's Thumb with Chris is comparing apples and oranges. The author was a very accomplished climber from a young age whereas Chris had no "survival" experience as anyone who knows can tell you(many accomplished guides have pointed this fact out elsewhere). So although Chris espoused the literary ideals of London, Tolstoy and Thoreau, the alaskan wilderness cares not about such things which brings reality and eventually death to the young man.
It is so sad, Chris was very bright and deserved a better life, however I believe his depression drove him to his death. His need for some form of "test" would win him acceptance from his father thus putting an end to a long bitter relationship. Nevertheless, the book is an engaging account of a tragic part of his life and should serve as a reminder for to examine ourselves and those around us with unconditional acceptance, not so as to stop encounters into the wild but to learn from nature as a child learns to walk - carefully, one step at a time until we can run!
If this is true, I think it is because K. unconsciously reinvents people into versions of himself or his imagination. He goes to the place he thinks he should go, not to the place where the evidence leads.

http://www.amazon.com/review/product...rBy=addOneStar
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote