cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Fitness and Wellness

View Poll Results: Do you immunize your kids? (hypothetical or real)
Yes 30 100.00%
No 0 0%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-19-2008, 03:42 PM   #11
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Does anybody else think it's really self-centered to not vaccinate your kids. I mean, not vaccinating your kids really only works if you expect that everybody else will vaccinate theirs and thus your kids won't actually be at risk of contracting polio or whatever.

Am I being unreasonable?

I have a friend whose church doesn't believe in vaccination. Last year the congregation experienced a nasty outbreak of whooping cough.
I agree with you Babs. Especially now that I have a newborn who would be vulnerable if there was an outbreak of one of those illnesses.
Old 08-19-2008, 03:49 PM   #12
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
I agree with you Babs. Especially now that I have a newborn who would be vulnerable if there was an outbreak of one of those illnesses.
exactly. I've got a kid who's immuno-compromised. It seems kinda selfish of these people. "Well, I don't want to expose my kid to mercury (or whatever), but I'm putting yours at risk of contracting diphtheria. Hope you don't mind."
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 04:58 PM   #13
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

there is a family in our ward with a Primary aged boy.....the boy contracted herpes (cold sores) from his grandmother. The knucklehead grandmother kissed the boy when she had an outbreak on her face (GROSS) and the boy wound up contracting it.

Needless to say, the parents were furious and it caused a bit of a rift between the husband (his mom kissed the boy) and the wife (who was pissed at the MIL).

The parents didnt want people in the ward to ostracize their boy, so they decided to tell few people. My wife is good friends with the boy's mom, so the mom told my wife.

Our kids all play together regularly...every week. However, I notice that when he has an outbreak, they still bring him to Church and send him off to nursery.

It pisses me off because they have zero control over what a 3.5 year old will do....touch his mouth, touch other kids, put toys in his mouth and then lay them down, etc...

One of my pet peeves is knuckelhead parents that bring their sick kids to Church (he isnt contagious...his snot is clear!), but this seems to raise the bar to a new level.

It isn't the boy's fault that he has this issue. But keep him home when he is having an outbreak....until he is old enough to understand what he has and that he needs to act accordingly. I find it terribly inconsiderate of the parents.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 05:27 PM   #14
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
there is a family in our ward with a Primary aged boy.....the boy contracted herpes (cold sores) from his grandmother. The knucklehead grandmother kissed the boy when she had an outbreak on her face (GROSS) and the boy wound up contracting it.

Needless to say, the parents were furious and it caused a bit of a rift between the husband (his mom kissed the boy) and the wife (who was pissed at the MIL).

The parents didnt want people in the ward to ostracize their boy, so they decided to tell few people. My wife is good friends with the boy's mom, so the mom told my wife.

Our kids all play together regularly...every week. However, I notice that when he has an outbreak, they still bring him to Church and send him off to nursery.

It pisses me off because they have zero control over what a 3.5 year old will do....touch his mouth, touch other kids, put toys in his mouth and then lay them down, etc...

One of my pet peeves is knuckelhead parents that bring their sick kids to Church (he isnt contagious...his snot is clear!), but this seems to raise the bar to a new level.

It isn't the boy's fault that he has this issue. But keep him home when he is having an outbreak....until he is old enough to understand what he has and that he needs to act accordingly. I find it terribly inconsiderate of the parents.
Sounds like both you and your friend's wife need to take a chill pill. So a grandmother has a lapse of judgment and kisses her grandson, obviously acting from a loving impulse before thinking. The frustration is understandable, but to choose to have this be the cause of a family rift? Ridiculous.

I agree that parents shouldn't bring their sick kids to church, but generally parents are all a little bit too uptight and judgmental about these things, as your post exemplifies. I can just hear you in "alternative Sunday School" saying, "I find it just terribly inconsiderate of the parents." Oh wait, that's what you did write. Do you have a high-pitched whiny voice?
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 05:30 PM   #15
ewth8tr

ewth8tr is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Does anybody else think it's really self-centered to not vaccinate your kids. I mean, not vaccinating your kids really only works if you expect that everybody else will vaccinate theirs and thus your kids won't actually be at risk of contracting polio or whatever.

Am I being unreasonable?

I have a friend whose church doesn't believe in vaccination. Last year the congregation experienced a nasty outbreak of whooping cough.
lol, that was the EXACT argument my idiot sister told me when she was originally not going to have her son immunized. She is a huge racist since she got married though and decided to get him immunized after all because of "all the illegal bringing their diseases up here".

Må din pung bli överkörd av femhundra siamesiska elefantbögar samtidigt som du får en ananas uppkörd långt upp i rektum - Most common thing said to LiveCoug on his mission.
ewth8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 05:53 PM   #16
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
Sounds like both you and your friend's wife need to take a chill pill. So a grandmother has a lapse of judgment and kisses her grandson, obviously acting from a loving impulse before thinking. The frustration is understandable, but to choose to have this be the cause of a family rift? Ridiculous.

I agree that parents shouldn't bring their sick kids to church, but generally parents are all a little bit too uptight and judgmental about these things, as your post exemplifies. I can just hear you in "alternative Sunday School" saying, "I find it just terribly inconsiderate of the parents." Oh wait, that's what you did write. Do you have a high-pitched whiny voice?
My children have weaker immune systems as a result of their preemie-ness. As such, when your 2 year old gets a cold, mine develop RSV and go to the hospital for 9 days. They get intubated in extreme cases, but on average, they have to have a nose canula for several days and lay there will crap gets suctioned out of their nose and throat.

So yes, I do care if some kid shows up to nursery with a snotty nose and gets my kids sick. I also get annoyed when the dipstick parent tells me that the kid is not contagious because the snot is clear.

Once they are bit older and can fight it all off on their own, they know to avoid kids that are coughing and sneezing, they know to wash their hands frequently, etc...then it isnt as much of a concern. But for now, yes....if your kid has a snot nose, keep him home. He isnt missing much and you can teach him whatever song they are singing that day in Primary.

As for the cold sore thing, I have a hard time believing that if one of your relatives had an active outbreak/lesions on their mouth and kissed your child, thereby resulting in incurable herpes for the rest of your child's life, that you would take a chill pill and write it off to a momentary lapse of reason. Not saying you would file a lawsuit, but every parent would get annoyed. The husband in this case was also annoyed at his mom. The rift was not because he felt the mom was innocent....he also thought her behavior was stupid. He was annoyed at his wife because his wife wanted to punish the mom and withhold visitation privileges for awhile (an admittedly stupid resonse).

Perhaps you dont care if your kids get herpes, though. I cant be sure.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 06:06 PM   #17
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
My children have weaker immune systems as a result of their preemie-ness. As such, when your 2 year old gets a cold, mine develop RSV and go to the hospital for 9 days. They get intubated in extreme cases, but on average, they have to have a nose canula for several days and lay there will crap gets suctioned out of their nose and throat.

So yes, I do care if some kid shows up to nursery with a snotty nose and gets my kids sick. I also get annoyed when the dipstick parent tells me that the kid is not contagious because the snot is clear.

Once they are bit older and can fight it all off on their own, they know to avoid kids that are coughing and sneezing, they know to wash their hands frequently, etc...then it isnt as much of a concern. But for now, yes....if your kid has a snot nose, keep him home. He isnt missing much and you can teach him whatever song they are singing that day in Primary.

As for the cold sore thing, I have a hard time believing that if one of your relatives had an active outbreak/lesions on their mouth and kissed your child, thereby resulting in incurable herpes for the rest of your child's life, that you would take a chill pill and write it off to a momentary lapse of reason. Not saying you would file a lawsuit, but every parent would get annoyed. The husband in this case was also annoyed at his mom. The rift was not because he felt the mom was innocent....he also thought her behavior was stupid. He was annoyed at his wife because his wife wanted to punish the mom and withhold visitation privileges for awhile (an admittedly stupid resonse).

Perhaps you dont care if your kids get herpes, though. I cant be sure.
We're in agreement on the wrongheaded reaction by your friend's wife, who wanted to punish her MIL. I said I'd be frustrated with my mom for doing it, but life's too short to heap more guilt on her when she surely already feels a healthy dose.

We keep our kids home when they're sick; it isn't our favorite thing when parents bring kids who may show outward signs of illness to Church (even though the parents reassure everyone their kid is past the contagious stage or is fine).

But I don't think they're dipsticks or deserve the pitch of outrage you show.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 06:08 PM   #18
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
However, I notice that when he has an outbreak, they still bring him to Church and send him off to nursery.
It makes no sense to me why anybody pass up a free get out church pass.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 06:11 PM   #19
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
It makes no sense to me why anybody pass up a free get out church pass.
So that every other parent can acquire a get a free get out of church pass? Maybe somebody's bribing them.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:24 PM   #20
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidget View Post
And we all know how home schooled kids turn out.
I was on a group date with a girl once while at the Y. We started playing that game two truths and a lie. Well one of her truths was that she was valedictorian. Then I called her out by saying that everyone who is home schooled is valedictorian. She was so embarrassed and upset she didn't talk to me the rest of the evening.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote