cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Outdoor / Scouting / Survival

Old 04-14-2009, 04:16 PM   #11
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman View Post
My father in law has a WWII era Colt 1911 .45 ACP. I'm pretty sure it killed some Germans. It's old, but still a sweet gun. His sons hate him so I think I have a pretty good shot at inheriting the thing when he croaks. Hell, he might even give it to me before then.

Sidebar: why the hell did the U.S. give up the .45 in favor of the 9mm as the standard issue side arm? Was it just to conform to NATO or was there some other reason? Seems pretty wimpy to me...
I believe you are correct in that it was to go with the NATO standard ammo. Although not every branch gave up the 1911. I think the Marines kept the 1911 if I'm not mistaken.

WWII 1911s are collectors items, and depending on their condition, can be quite valuable. Make sure he doesn't, nor you, refinish the gun or do anything like that.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 04:19 PM   #12
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
That is an interesting idea, Mike - LDS themes on grips. It never would have occurred to me to do that. You could add a twist to it with the 2nd Amendment engraved on the Title of Liberty.
The beauty of Scrimshaw is that you can use any design you like, provided you or someone else, takes the time to actually lay the work down on the material.

Making a firearm into a personalized work of art appeals to me. I think a lot of the things that you see on the internet are stupid--macho designs, death designs. They do not reflect my values. Peace, rule of law, respect, brotherhood, family, non-violence--these are my values.
Old 04-14-2009, 04:43 PM   #13
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Dan Wesson Commander Bobtail is what I'm planning on, although there is a limited supply and essentially a wait-list.

I'm not familiar with the Kimber line, but I will say, if that is less than a commander size, be careful. You may encounter reliability problems.

The other thing that is specific to Kimber (and some other manufacturers) is MIM parts. Basically what I think of as "hot dog metal." Grind up a metal paste, put in binders, put in mold, and that is the "metal" in your gun. I'm staying away from Kimber.

DW is a small manufacturer, but I have heard very good things from both a friend who owns one as well as the internet community.
Thanks for the heads up on Kimber. I will look into a DW.
"Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State. "
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 05:21 PM   #14
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Dan Wesson Commander Bobtail is what I'm planning on, although there is a limited supply and essentially a wait-list.

I'm not familiar with the Kimber line, but I will say, if that is less than a commander size, be careful. You may encounter reliability problems.

The other thing that is specific to Kimber (and some other manufacturers) is MIM parts. Basically what I think of as "hot dog metal." Grind up a metal paste, put in binders, put in mold, and that is the "metal" in your gun. I'm staying away from Kimber.

DW is a small manufacturer, but I have heard very good things from both a friend who owns one as well as the internet community.
Mike, you've piqued my curiosity about the DW. I'm going to learn more about it now.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 05:51 PM   #15
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
WWII 1911s are collectors items, and depending on their condition, can be quite valuable. Make sure he doesn't, nor you, refinish the gun or do anything like that.
Interesting, I didn't know they could be so valuable. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:31 PM   #16
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Mike, you've piqued my curiosity about the DW. I'm going to learn more about it now.
too bad you weren't piqued earlier when I inquired about a CZ/DW group buy here.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:16 PM   #17
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I've learned a thing or two about black rifles along the way as well. Not an expert by any means, but I have a general idea of things to look for and things to avoid. Including alternate calibers.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:39 PM   #18
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
too bad you weren't piqued earlier when I inquired about a CZ/DW group buy here.
I missed it. Sorry 'bout that.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 11:09 PM   #19
MikeWaters
Demiurge

For you that are uninitiated, let me add that the 1911 was designed and created by a Mormon gunmaker, the most famous and most important American gunmaker of them all--John Moses Browning. It is only appropriate that the gun have Mormon regalia and symbology.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:21 AM   #20
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
The beauty of Scrimshaw is that you can use any design you like, provided you or someone else, takes the time to actually lay the work down on the material.

Making a firearm into a personalized work of art appeals to me. I think a lot of the things that you see on the internet are stupid--macho designs, death designs. They do not reflect my values. Peace, rule of law, respect, brotherhood, family, non-violence--these are my values.
These are ivory grips that were photoshopped onto a Dan Wesson CBOB (commander bobtail). So this is kind of what I am shooting for, but with a different scrimshaw design of course. Notice how the Dan Wesson has very little in the way of billboard on the slide. Very clean appearance.