cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Outdoor / Scouting / Survival

Old 02-10-2009, 06:13 PM   #1
The Unnamed User

The Unnamed User is on a distinguished road
Default Black Gold for Black Hearts

This is an opinion editorial that I wrote for my english class, and I want the word to be spread, so let it spread!

Picture in your mind your most prized possession. Now imagine your mother sneaking into your bedroom in the middle of the night, snatching it and taking it apart, saying, "We can put this to better use." In essence this is what the U.S. Bureau of Land Management (BLM) is trying to do to nature-loving Utahans and Americans alike. Without the full support of the National Park Service, they sold leases to several oil companies to start drilling as close as four miles from our beloved Delicate Arch. There are thousands of acres of land that have been leased surrounding various other national parks as well. This could lead to severe air and water pollution, marred landscapes, disrupted peace and tranquility, as well as the possible collapsing of these irreplaceable wonders of the world.
I myself am an avid visitor of Arches National Park. It is one of my favorite places in the entire world because you can go there and forget about all your worldly cares and just reflect on all the miracles that God has blessed you with. There is nothing like it in the world. Within a few square miles you can reach dozens of red rock arches and nature-made bridges, surrounded by enormous sandstone walls shooting up on either side of you. Cool sand running between your toes, you hike barefoot, weaving in and out of giant fins of rock, when suddenly an arch appears out of nowhere, the result of thousands of years of erosion. It is truly majestic. Now imagine you are sitting underneath one of these towering creations, a slight breeze blowing in your face, trying to ponder one of life’s deepest mysteries when¬¬ -- bzzzzzzz! Ching! Ching! Ching! Bzzzzzz! Kind of ruins the moment doesn’t it? According to Franklin Seal of Wildland CPR, "If you're standing at Delicate Arch, like thousands of people do every year, and you're looking through the arch, you could see drill pads on the hillside behind it.” Not quite so majestic anymore.
Supporters of the leases might say that Utah needs the extra economic boost. But how much of a boost will it actually give us? According to a recent analysis of Utah oil and gas, “Utah's known petroleum reserves have been estimated at little more than 1 percent of those in the entire United States. Its natural gas reserves are estimated at 2.5 percent of the country's. Cast another way, ‘…enough oil to supply the country for less than seven weeks and enough natural gas to supply the country for about five and a half months.’” Another point to consider is whether or not Utah will actually see the oil that we are hauling out. Kurt Repanshek of the National Parks Traveler brings up a good point: “After all, just because oil and natural gas come out of the U.S. reserves doesn't necessarily mean it will be consumed within this country.” Also, all revenues are shared equally between the federal government and the State of Utah. So is it worth it to drill for only an inconsequential percentage of the country’s oil reserves when it might not even be consumed within the United States? Maybe we aren’t as directly affected as the BLM wants us to think.
To the supporters’ credit, “according to a report by the Utah Energy Office, the drilling of a typical well in the Uintah Basin adds approximately 15 jobs and $360,000 in additional personal income.” Although this may be true, there is a risk. This is all dependent on whether or not we can sustain these jobs by future development. Also there are a myriad of costly tests that the land would have to undergo before we even know whether or not it can be capitalized on. So what happens if we spend the money to administer all these tests and we find that all that land isn’t drillable?
I also recently heard the argument that the profit we receive from tourism alone doesn’t quite suffice. But that doesn’t automatically mean that we should jump to conclusions and think that our only other option is ripping up the land in a mad rush to find black gold! There are other options. What about better advertising our parks? There are over 30 national and state parks in Utah, but how often do you see a commercial advertising the beautiful vistas and magnificent landmarks that are unique to our beloved state? I know lots of people that would love to explore the secrets that these parks have to offer, but they may not have known that they even exist. Or if they do know, they just don’t realize what is in store. If we invested a little more time and planning into our parks, we could see an increase in revenue from tourism. We could offer incentives for the family to come and visit. I have had many bonding experiences with my family on trips to Arches that I don’t think I could’ve had in any other place. There is a special appreciation of nature that is felt there that would be ruined if the land was scarred by these oil wells.
The BLM said that they would “provide administrative protection for these natural areas” and that they would work closely with the National Parks Service when it comes to selling oil and gas leases near the borders of national parks. But on Election Day they went ahead and announced that they would sell leases on more than 360,000 acres around several national parks in Utah. And what’s worse, they didn’t even consult with the National Parks Service before announcing it. When asked why the Parks Service wasn’t allowed to defer the parcels, the BLM staffers kept silent. This is a breach on our rights as Americans. These arches are a symbol of the American dream. Settlers walked across the Great Plains looking for something better. They found more than that. America is a special land, and we need to do all we can to preserve it. Government’s role is to protect that which we hold most dear, not to take it away from us. Let’s not allow greed and love of money to lead us to do something that we cannot take back.
So what can you do about it? In 2007, Representative Maurice Hinchey reintroduced the America's Red Rock Wilderness Act, which would permanently protect these natural wonders. The act was proposed to Congress, but a final decision has yet to be made. It is still under consideration, which means we have time to act. I urge you all to look it up, and find out how you can support it. Here’s one way: go to http://www.savebiogems.org/redrock/ and send a letter to the government to let them know that you care about protecting our natural relics. Or you can write your own feelings directly to the BLM at http://www.blm.gov/wo/st/en/res/feedback.html. Let your voice be heard. That’s what America is all about.
The Unnamed User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 06:33 PM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

A question:

Are you a member of SUWA?

My response to your post depends on knowing this.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 08:14 PM   #3
landpoke

landpoke is on a distinguished road

There's an awful lot of distortion and outright falsehood there. Mix in a little needless sensationalism and fear mongering and you have your run of the mill nihilist enviro screed. Meh.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:12 PM   #4
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

all credibility was lost with the spelling of the word "Utahans". Hate that.

This is not to say the Bush administration got it right with the Utah firesales. Glad that Salazar reversed some of them.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote