cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball

Old 03-13-2015, 10:18 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Damarcus Harrison and Matt Carlino just finished their careers

Their college careers that is.

Damarcus had significant minutes playing for Clemson in the ACC. About 20 minutes per game. Playing in the ACC, that is something. I never once saw Clemson play, so I never got to see him.

Looks like he never learned to shoot well. I expect that his contribution was primarily on the defensive side.

Matty was 2nd-team Big East and shot the ball better at Marquette.

Matty was a pretty decent defender for us, although perhaps he gambled too much. But he got his hands on lots of balls, and was reasonably good at staying in front of people. Didn't get to seem him play much man-to-man last season because of Rose's give-up zone defense.

I think Matty would have made this BYU team better. I don't think there's any doubt. The idea that Halford is better than Carlino just doesn't hold up. But of course, Matty was chafing on the bit. And he clearly wasn't happy with his role.

I don't blame Carlino. I too am befuddled at times re: Rose's substitution patterns and why some guys are getting minutes and others are glued to the bench.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 04:30 AM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

So Damarcus (in 3 years) and Carlino (1 year) never went to the NCAA tourney outside their BYU careers.

Damarcus went to the NIT once. Clemson lost to SMU in the semifinals last year.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote