cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball

Old 05-11-2016, 09:17 PM   #1
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road
Default Utah basketball program in some turmoil?

Three key players transferring? You have to wonder what is going on there. Then add in the 3 seniors, all of whom were key players along with Poeltl leaving early for the NBA and it doesn't seem like things are going to be so great for them this year. I also wouldn't be surprised if coach 80K takes the next decent offer that comes along. Lots of reasons to avoid an embarrassing loss in Provo this year. On the other hand, it's looking more and more as if beating them wouldn't have helped BYU much with the selection committee this time anyway, since they're likely not to be very good. I just hope BYU holds the line in future negotiations. The next deal if there is one has to include playing the first game in Provo with at least $1M penalty for weaseling out of a game.

Last edited by BlueK; 05-11-2016 at 09:29 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 09:53 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

might be one down year, but if he stays, I predict they will quickly reload.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 02:56 PM   #3
BlueK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
might be one down year, but if he stays, I predict they will quickly reload.
Maybe. He loaded the first time mostly with JC players and then tried to transition to 4 year recruits. The problem is that the recruiting of 4 year players hasn't panned out the way their coach was hoping. You can see that by looking up who they were pursuing the last couple of years and who they actually signed (hardly any of their targets). Consequently, he lost out of some good players he could have gotten but didn't go after until it was too late. He had a good shot at Yoeli Childs, for example, but didn't think he was good enough for them until the 5 star guys he was pursuing all turned the U down.

Also, 3 guys transferring in one year who would have gotten significant playing time would seem to indicate there is something strange going on there. Not saying he isn't a good basketball coach, but he might me a little bit of a maniac who is hard to play for, ala Rex Walters.

Last edited by BlueK; 05-13-2016 at 03:06 PM.
Old 05-13-2016, 05:08 PM   #4
BlueK

Brekkott Chapman was expected to start for them this year. Interesting how coach 80k is blocking some of his options. Not sure why every school in Utah except Weber is on the block list considering that Utah doesn't play anyone in the state. The P12 thing I can understand.

http://www.todaysu.com/u-news/brekko...sferring-utah/
Old 05-13-2016, 09:56 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I would indeed enjoy Coach 80k ending up with a dumpster fire on his hands.

Utah fans get to watch their team suck AND ALSO not get to play/beat BYU. Nice going Utah. You have a coach that wants to make the season even LESS interesting.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote