cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics

Old 11-09-2016, 05:12 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default When it was Trump vs. Clinton

many months ago, I predicted Trump would win.

Clinton is a tired story, an old person with huge baggage, that could not beat Obama, a virtual unknown. She barely beat Sanders. She has zero charisma. I just didn't see how she could win.

I also thought that Trump would go "on the rails" after the primaries. And that didn't happen. His discipline was much worse than I imagined it would be, which greatly decreased my confidence in his ability to lead.

It would be weird if I wake up tomorrow and Hillary won.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 05:58 AM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
many months ago, I predicted Trump would win.

Clinton is a tired story, an old person with huge baggage, that could not beat Obama, a virtual unknown. She barely beat Sanders. She has zero charisma. I just didn't see how she could win.

I also thought that Trump would go "on the rails" after the primaries. And that didn't happen. His discipline was much worse than I imagined it would be, which greatly decreased my confidence in his ability to lead.

It would be weird if I wake up tomorrow and Hillary won.
Hillary ignored workers who haven't recovered. There is no recovery for them. And she campaigned for open boarders which signaled to them they would lose more jobs. A Democrat should know better.

She is and has been a terrible candidate.
Old 11-09-2016, 01:45 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

It has become impolite for educated persons to talk about the impact of Mexican immigration on our economies and cities. It is MASSIVE. And not all of it is positive. Yet we can't have a conversation about it due to political correctness.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 02:39 PM   #4
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
It has become impolite for educated persons to talk about the impact of Mexican immigration on our economies and cities. It is MASSIVE. And not all of it is positive. Yet we can't have a conversation about it due to political correctness.
Agreed. Open boarders and no change in immigration policy means you have no policy. Many people are concerned about that.
Old 11-09-2016, 06:34 PM   #5
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

A coworker of mine -- young, college educated, born in the US but from a Lebanese family already got harassed last night by an idiot redneck emboldened by Trump's racist bullshit. Hopefully a few Republicans in Congress will have enough backbone to block some of Trump's worst ideas. If Trump can push through his radical anti-trade agenda, prepare for an economy crash much worse than 2008.

Last edited by BlueK; 11-09-2016 at 06:44 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 06:52 PM   #6
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Based on his victory speech I don't think he's really going to build a wall, impose a 45% tariff on China, or ban Muslim immigration.

He said those things to connect with rednecks who felt like the system was neglecting them. And he's sure done a damn good job at it. His victory amazes me.
Old 11-09-2016, 08:44 PM   #7
BlueK

Trump got over a million FEWER total votes than Romney did in 2012. It's just that Hillary got a lot less support and turnout than Obama did. This wasn't about everyone loving Trump. It was a reaction to Hillary. Any of the GOP candidates could have beaten Hillary. Also consider that the same party winning three straight presidential terms has only happened twice since the 1800s (Reagan, Reagan, Bush) and FDR by himself. Change is what won the election. I can only hope Trump the president isn't the same as Trump the candidate. Yes, his speech last night was a little encouraging.

Last edited by BlueK; 11-09-2016 at 09:22 PM.
Old 11-09-2016, 09:41 PM   #8
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Go to West Virginia. They're crazy about Trump.
Old 11-09-2016, 11:17 PM   #9
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
Trump got over a million FEWER total votes than Romney did in 2012. It's just that Hillary got a lot less support and turnout than Obama did. This wasn't about everyone loving Trump. It was a reaction to Hillary. Any of the GOP candidates could have beaten Hillary. Also consider that the same party winning three straight presidential terms has only happened twice since the 1800s (Reagan, Reagan, Bush) and FDR by himself. Change is what won the election. I can only hope Trump the president isn't the same as Trump the candidate. Yes, his speech last night was a little encouraging.
I don't agree. Only Trump could have won, because he reached the blue collar worker the stuffy white men, sans Rubio, could have reached. You don't reach those people with out of touch rich people. You need to feel their pain and act like a fighter.

Clinton was an awful candidate who had everything. She had tons more money. She had all the media cheering for her like school children. She had all the right connections. She had a ground game.

Yet she failed, because she is stuffy, rich, out of touch, arrogant, pedantic and condescending. She was dismissive of people's concerns. The economy is great for all. Anybody complaining is a basket of deplorables.
Old 11-10-2016, 01:06 AM   #10
BlueK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I don't agree. Only Trump could have won, because he reached the blue collar worker the stuffy white men, sans Rubio, could have reached. You don't reach those people with out of touch rich people. You need to feel their pain and act like a fighter.

Clinton was an awful candidate who had everything. She had tons more money. She had all the media cheering for her like school children. She had all the right connections. She had a ground game.

Yet she failed, because she is stuffy, rich, out of touch, arrogant, pedantic and condescending. She was dismissive of people's concerns. The economy is great for all. Anybody complaining is a basket of deplorables.
Seriously, if gutless Republicans who know better allow Trump to push through his awful anti-trade ideas it will get really ugly. Then he'll get voted out and the dopey dems at that point will say it's because he didnt' go far enough with the destructive trade wars and make it even worse.

It's the tax code and crony system of special tax breaks that is causing the problems for the middle class and not trade. Get rid of the tax code. Don't close ourselves off from the global economy.

Last edited by BlueK; 11-10-2016 at 01:09 AM.