cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religious Studies
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2007, 04:50 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Introducing this Section

We noticed a division in the types of religious discussions. Thus a suggestion from the audience arose that we could have one academic based discussion arena, where traditional academic formatting applied. It's not really intended to be a place where apologetics gets ramped up full force, testimony bearing or anything of the like.

If you wish to do that, use the standard religion section. Thanks for self-policing.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:52 PM   #2
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

In other words, No Apologists Allowed

Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 04:54 PM   #3
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post

Apologists are allowed. Apologia isn't.

I guess.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:55 PM   #4
Archaea

Quote:

Apologists allowed, just use an academic technique, not just defensive argument.

SIEQ and Pelagius are well-acquainted with the academic techniques, but in some fields would be considered apologists.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:59 PM   #5
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Just for clarification, if there is a discussion about Lamanites being the principal ancestors of the American Indian and I post a link showing that mitochondrial DNA studies show how poorly mitochondrial DNA performed in Iceland trying to link known ancestors as little as 150 years back, does that amount to a defensive argument or an academic technique or something else?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 05:01 PM   #6
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
Apologists are allowed. Apologia isn't.

I guess.
Correct. It's more to discuss dispassionately scholarly, philosophical or theological observations. It can involve scriptural exegesis and the like.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:08 PM   #7
Archaea

Quote:
Just for clarification, if there is a discussion about Lamanites being the principal ancestors of the American Indian and I post a link showing that mitochondrial DNA studies show how poorly mitochondrial DNA performed in Iceland trying to link known ancestors as little as 150 years back, does that amount to a defensive argument or an academic technique or something else?
The Icelandic study is a legitimate study, and citation to it is fine. I agree with your conclusions that the conclusions of the geneticists that no genetic links between the Middle East ancestry and Native Americans is overstated. Currently, no comprehensive studies have been conducted which would allow one to make that statement. The Cohen type mitochondrial studies are interesting in that the lack of findings is not insignificant, just not conclusive and may suggest a reason to reject Pratt's hypothesis of a hemispheric application of BoM.

There is a fine line, I suppose. Argument with exegesis and studies is certain apologia, but where the line is crossed can only be determined on a case by case basis. Just police yourself. If you want pure argument with academic allowance for oneself to be wrong or without surveying alternative interpretations, you're probably in the field of apologia.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:08 PM   #8
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Indy, I thought your DNA link was well within the bounds of the forum (even though it happened before its creation). I think one could surround it with a discussion that was too polemical, but you didn't do that if I recall correctly.

Last edited by pelagius; 08-02-2007 at 05:11 PM.
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 05:10 PM   #9
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelagius View Post
Indy, I thought you're DNA link was well within the bounds of the forum (even though it happened before its creation). I think one could surround it with a discussion that was too polemical, but you didn't do that if I recall correctly.
I agree. His citation was proper and not polemical. If one wishes to discuss genetic heritage, it is proper to understand the current boundaries which given studies provide. The Icelandic study shows the limitations of maternal mitachondrial studies.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:11 PM   #10
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

I would like to officially lodge my protest of this new category. I think splitting the religion category like this is a BAD idea. I think both categories will be worse than the original religion category.