cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2007, 05:33 PM   #1
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ranked only 23rd in the ESPN/USA Today Poll

I was hoping for better than that, at least 17 or 18. Louisville drops only to 10th. Michigan State is at 13th. I guess the voters still see the win over L-ville as an upset. I thought the way we played against UNC would have limited some of that reaction.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 05:34 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

being ranked at all is a huge accomplishment, moreso in bball than football due to the huge number of schools.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 05:40 PM   #3
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
I was hoping for better than that, at least 17 or 18. Louisville drops only to 10th. Michigan State is at 13th. I guess the voters still see the win over L-ville as an upset. I thought the way we played against UNC would have limited some of that reaction.
I think that is about right for BYU's ranking. Now as for Louisville, they should either be out of the top 25 or else they should be ranked right around 25. Louisville without Padgett is not a better team than BYU. I really think the better team won on Friday.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 05:44 PM   #4
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
being ranked at all is a huge accomplishment, moreso in bball than football due to the huge number of schools.
I agree. Just getting in is pretty impressive.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 05:45 PM   #5
Clark Addison

Clark Addison is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
I think that is about right for BYU's ranking. Now as for Louisville, they should either be out of the top 25 or else they should be ranked right around 25. Louisville without Padgett is not a better team than BYU. I really think the better team won on Friday.

I agree with this. There was a big difference between Louisville and UNC. Against UNC, we were scrambling, we were out of our offense much of the time, and it took a great effort to stay in the game. Against Louisville, we didn't shoot all that well, but still looked like the best team on the floor, and in control of the game.

I don't really care that much about 23 vs. 18 or 16 at this time of year. It is important to get into the rankings, to start to build credibility. The rest will take care of itself if we keep winning.
Clark Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 06:02 PM   #6
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Well BYU did in fact lose on Saturday. Yes they played well, but lost. Look at the rankings as though perhaps they were considered as high as 17 or 18 before that game.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 06:09 PM   #7
K-dog

K-dog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
Well BYU did in fact lose on Saturday. Yes they played well, but lost. Look at the rankings as though perhaps they were considered as high as 17 or 18 before that game.
I think that is a legitimate contention. I expec that continued winning will result in a high ranking after the MSU game.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
K-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 06:36 PM   #8
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Being ranked this early almost ensures us to be ranked all season. Voters tend to look at last week's poll and factor in wins and losses for the week and move up down accordingly. Beat Mich State and go on a run and we could be top 10.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 06:41 PM   #9
myboynoah

Sadly, it has become overwhelmingly apparent to me that none of you are "Fully Invested" (Ute Fans, you are exempted from this criticism).

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:37 PM   #10
myboynoah

AP out, number 21 there. Louisville is at 12 and Michigan State at 10.

That's better.

Now for this team to improve.