cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2007, 05:34 AM   #11
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Babel sucked. The Village sucked. X-Men 3 sucked. I had hopes for all three of these.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 02:37 PM   #12
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
X-Men 3 sucked.
You should have known that after X-Men 1.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 02:54 PM   #13
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Pretty much any B.S. artsy fartsy movie that most critics like, espeically the liberal crowd, and garbage movies where if someone has to say they like it so they can pretend to be part of the "in the know" crowd.....i.e....manipulative garbage movies like Crash. If a critic is fawning over it....say like "Little Miss Sunshine"...it's a virtual gurantee I won't stand it.

Pretty much any Independent film that happens to be the latest hip craze where it's not cool to say you thought it sucked. I have no problem saying most of them suck. Occasionally I'm pleasantly surprised.
Technically you weren't extremely disappointed by these movies. You knew you wouldn't like them going in and afterward you found that your pre-movie assesment was correct.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 03:02 PM   #14
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

I was disappointed in John Tucker Must Die. My 17-yr. old female cousin said it was the absolute best movie since Chasing Liberty. I'll never trust her again! I'd say it was only slightly better than Raising Helen, but not even close to 13 Going on 30.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 03:09 PM   #15
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post
So you are a snob then?
A snob in the white, trashy sense.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 03:14 PM   #16
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

I was most recently disappointed by Black Dahlia. I didn't hear any reviews but it looked cool. It was one of those frustrating movies that is based on a complex book that when condensed down to a movie, it leaves out so much that you're left wondering what the director was trying to do. But Scarlett was still hot, so it was worth it.

The most supreme disappointment was the Star Wars last three segments. Anticipating those movies your whole life and then to be served with that was criminal.

Also recently I was disappointed by Donnie Darko. I had seen this as a movie suggestion by many that I trust with similar movie tastes. One guaranteed it would make my top 5 of all time. I liked it, but it just didn't do it for me like everyone promised.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 05:00 PM   #17
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

I agree on The Village and The Black Dahlia.

M. Night has lost his touch and The Black Dahlia was boring. I wanted to turn it off half way through, but didn't.
Old 01-10-2007, 05:23 PM   #18
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Superman Returns -- it wasn't a bad movie, and I liked it better upon on 2nd viewing, but I remember walking out and saying to my brother...."Why do I feel like we just walked out of a chick flick?"

Star Wars 1 & 2. The 3rd was an improvement, but still not great.

Pretty much any B.S. artsy fartsy movie that most critics like, espeically the liberal crowd, and garbage movies where if someone has to say they like it so they can pretend to be part of the "in the know" crowd.....i.e....manipulative garbage movies like Crash. If a critic is fawning over it....say like "Little Miss Sunshine"...it's a virtual gurantee I won't stand it.

Pretty much any Independent film that happens to be the latest hip craze where it's not cool to say you thought it sucked. I have no problem saying most of them suck. Occasionally I'm pleasantly surprised.

Unfunny comedies like Big Lebowski and O Brother Where Art Thou. I usually enjoy the reaction I get from people when they here I didn't like either of them. Being odd, warped and bizarre doesn't make a movie great.

The Coen Brothers are the most overated filmakers in Hollywood. Their stuff is usually overated, over-reaching, unfunny dung.
Remind me to never take your advice on movies.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 07:21 PM   #19
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
Remind me to never take your advice on movies.
You and I couldn't have different tastes about well...pretty much everything and not just movies. I take that as a good thing that I'm making the right decisions most of the time.