cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2005, 04:08 AM   #1
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk
Default Good to see the Yankees are spending more money

I'm actually to the point where I love seeing the Yankees throwing more money around in an attempt to win a championship. It will make the team failing all the more fun to watch.

A question does the team with the over 200 million payroll or the team with the 55 million payroll have the following starting pitching.

Rich Harden
Barry Zito
Dan Haren
Esteban Loaiza
Joe Blanton

Here is the hint it is the team with the 55 million dollar payroll. Looks like that 200 million does not buy what it used to, does it Mr Steinbrener.

The plain fact is that even with all the money that the Yankees spent with the pathetic pitching they have at best they are third in the AL behind the White Sox and Oakland.

It is going to get real ugly for the Yankees when all there geriatric sluggers are starting to not produce and no one will take the bloated contracts off their hands.

Give me Billy Beane and 65-70 million over 200 million without Beane any day.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 03:00 PM   #2
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default MP are you from Oakland or do you live there?

How did you become an A's fan? I grew up in Oakland and we had season tickets to the A's and Giants growing up, my uncle was a huge giants fan my dad an A's fan. I went the same route as my uncle. But I do cheer for the A's when they are not playing the giants.

I remember the good old A's teams that i grew up watching my favorite lineup of all time.

SS- Walt Weiss
2b- Mike Gallego
1b- Mark Mcgwire
RF- Jose Canseco
LF- Ricky Henderson
CF- Dave Parker/Dave Henderson
3b- Carney lansford
C- Terry Steinbach
P- Dave Stewart/Bob Welch/Mike Moore

Those were the good old days. Until Carney broke his leg in a snowmobile accident and was never the same.
cougjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 04:42 PM   #3
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Yes those were the glory days of A's baseball, steroids and all.

I went to dozens of games to see that team play while in high school. $3 bleachers were the best seat in the house. $2.50 for Candlestick bleachers. Now you can't even get hot dog for those prices.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 04:54 PM   #4
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

although i hate the yankees, i think it important to point out that their payroll will shrink this year by about 30 million....

i think their opening day payroll as is right now will be around 175 as opposed to 205 last year....

the thing about your a's funk is they will never be a legitimate world series contender. and let me tell you why...

although their stragedy of moneyball works great, they arent willing to get, or keep the one or two power guys that would push them over the top...

could you imagine, tejada, giambi and their pitching still in oakland?

their payroll would only be around 80-90 million a year and theyd have some big bats to go with the big arms...
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 02:25 PM   #5
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default $3 bleacher seats at the Oakland Colliseum were

always a family favorite. I remember growing up in cub scouts we would go to a few games a year. I caught a Kirby Puckett Home run ball sitting in the front row over the left field wall.
cougjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 05:10 PM   #6
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

I went to an A's game this summer, Rich Harden pitched a one-hitter through eight, then the reliever went in and blew the game. The home fans were pissed.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 12:21 AM   #7
realtall

realtall is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to realtall
Default Re: $3 bleacher seats at the Oakland Colliseum were

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie
always a family favorite. I remember growing up in cub scouts we would go to a few games a year. I caught a Kirby Puckett Home run ball sitting in the front row over the left field wall.

Cool! Do you still have it?
realtall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 02:20 AM   #8
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah
Default Re: MP are you from Oakland or do you live there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie
How did you become an A's fan? I grew up in Oakland and we had season tickets to the A's and Giants growing up, my uncle was a huge giants fan my dad an A's fan. I went the same route as my uncle. But I do cheer for the A's when they are not playing the giants.

I remember the good old A's teams that i grew up watching my favorite lineup of all time.

SS- Walt Weiss
2b- Mike Gallego
1b- Mark Mcgwire
RF- Jose Canseco
LF- Ricky Henderson
CF- Dave Parker/Dave Henderson
3b- Carney lansford
C- Terry Steinbach
P- Dave Stewart/Bob Welch/Mike Moore

Those were the good old days. Until Carney broke his leg in a snowmobile accident and was never the same.
Epic lineup. Sick speed. Sick power. Sick pitching. Those were the glory days. The bash brothers hitting the ball like nobody had seen before. Eckersley lights out like Gagne. Back-back-back ROY. Don't forget Rick Honeycutt. Sandy Alderson, Tony LaRussa. Man I loved that team. I cried when Gibson hit his homerun. Eck was perfect. How did it happen?

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote