cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2007, 09:47 PM   #1
BYUruss

BYUruss is on a distinguished road
Default Question regarding wives of JS

Joseph Smith had a couple 14 year old wives, and also married a couple women after sending their first husbands away on a mission. So here's the question....do most of you believe that he was called of God to marry what are essentially still children, and other already married women? Or do you think that a better explanation is that nobody is perfect, including JS, and this was just being human? Or was it something else? Having not found out about that stuff until my mission, it's something that I've always wondered about.

Last edited by BYUruss; 10-18-2007 at 02:12 AM.
BYUruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 09:48 PM   #2
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYUruss View Post
Jodeph Smith had a couple 14 year old wives, and also married a couple women after sending their first husbands away on a mission. So here's the question....do most of you believe that he was called of God to marry what are essentially still children, and other already married women? Or do you think that a better explanation is that nobody is perfect, including JS, and this was just being human? Or was it something else? Having not found out about that stuff until my mission, it's something that I've always wondered about.
IMO, JS had some serious problems, but it shouldn't negate the good things he did.

Please change your avatar. It's ruining the board.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 09:48 PM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Jodeph Smith had a couple 14 year old wives, and also married a couple women after sending their first husbands away on a mission. So here's the question....do most of you believe that he was called of God to marry what are essentially still children, and other already married women? Or do you think that a better explanation is that nobody is perfect, including JS, and this was just being human? Or was it something else? Having not found out about that stuff until my mission, it's something that I've always wondered about.
Without intending to be rude, we've discussed this ad nauseum, so "you first" is the rule on these sorts of repeat inquiries.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:59 PM   #4
BYUruss

BYUruss is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Without intending to be rude, we've discussed this ad nauseum, so "you first" is the rule on these sorts of repeat inquiries.
I've only been a member here for a few days, so sorry to rehash this discussion. I'll just head over to CB and get their opinion. I'll bet they'll be openminded on the subject.
BYUruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 10:02 PM   #5
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I've only been a member here for a few days, so sorry to rehash this discussion. I'll just head over to CB and get their opinion. I'll bet they'll be openminded on the subject.
The general consensus was, it's an oddity, we didn't understand it, there might be more to it, but a majority doubted God called him to do that. There were some who dissented and believed it came from God. The majority opinion wondered and surmised, it was a man being a man, but that God would deal with it in the hereafter. That can save you a lot of reading. But we've had three to five threads on this very same subject. Do a search if you want entertaining reading on the subject.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:03 PM   #6
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Good luck with that.
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 10:08 PM   #7
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Have you ever noticed that when a person starts a sentence with "I don't mean to be rude...", there's a pretty good chance they're about to say something rude.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 10:11 PM   #8
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

I have more questions concerning polygamy than strong opinions. I guess I am like many in that regard. If pinned down my opinion today is that I am not convinced one way or the other concerning whether or not polygamy was originally of God in principle. If it was of God in principle, I believe what you described above was not the manner in which it was intended to be applicated. So in those cases my opinion, which is not to reach SE Idaho, is that Joseph Smith was not acting in accordance with God's will.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:17 PM   #9
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Once your post gets deleted and you get suspended, which should take about 5 minutes, come on back.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 10:24 PM   #10
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
My theory is that polygamy in the latter day was not ordained by God, and that Joseph got his wires crossed thinking it was from God when it wasn't. God fixed the problem a couple prophets later. No harm no foul. This isn't the strongest opinion I have and if someone like Tex was going to fight with me over it, I probably don't have much conviction to fight back. I don't know how else to explain what seems so inconsistent and weird.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote