cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-29-2008, 05:00 PM   #21
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
You think the Catholic archives are wide open? Seriously? Oh, they may have released things here and there (eg. stuff on the Inquisition), but I guarantee you most of their stuff will never see the light of day.
Of course they're wide open. Why else would they be called the "Vatican Secret Archives"?
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 05:02 PM   #22
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
8. Lengthen Your Stride: The Presidency of Spencer W. Kimball - Shadow Mountain
This one is funny. Or at least I got a good chuckle. Shadow Mountain is a Deseret Book imprint. Doh! the list has been undermined.

Last edited by pelagius; 02-29-2008 at 05:04 PM.
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 05:02 PM   #23
BigFatMeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
The vatican secret archives have a pretty cool on-line site.

http://www.vatican.va/library_archiv...s/index_it.htm
Dang! You beat me. At list my links go to the English page and not the Italian page.
Old 02-29-2008, 05:06 PM   #24
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelagius View Post
This one is funny. Or at least I got a good chuckle. Shadow Mountain is a Deseret Book imprint. Doh! the list has been undermined.
Good to bring up. Why is the juiciest stuff in the book not included in the actual book, but only on the CD-ROM?

I think another case of where someone made compromises in order to stay with the publisher.

I should add that, in addition, the book is not very controversial, and certainly not as important as the McKay biography.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 05:08 PM   #25
BigFatMeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Catholics really just aren't a very good example of a religion leading the way in analyzing its own history and being open with all of its documents.

I just followed the links of the Wikipedia article you posted and it appears that there is even a more secret archive than the official Secret Archives which themselves are separated from the Vatican Library that you linked to:

Quote:
Other secret archives

There are other secret archives at the Vatican. An even more secret archive is kept by the Apostolic Penitentiary, which contains papal documents and other material that is not made public, as no one is allowed access due to the privacy of the confessor-penitent disputes for which the Penitentiary is responsible.[6] Nevertheless the Secret Archives are the main collection.

Last edited by BigFatMeanie; 02-29-2008 at 05:09 PM. Reason: It's vs. its
Old 02-29-2008, 05:11 PM   #26
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
Catholics really just aren't a very good example of a religion leading the way in analyzing its own history and being open with all of its documents.

I just followed the links of the Wikipedia article you posted and it appears that there is even a more secret archive than the official Secret Archives which themselves are separated from the Vatican Library that you linked to:
So there's a double-secret Vatican library?

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 05:12 PM   #27
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
Dang! You beat me. At list my links go to the English page and not the Italian page.
I was just trying to keep archaea interested. Ciao!
Old 02-29-2008, 05:13 PM   #28
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Good to bring up. Why is the juiciest stuff in the book not included in the actual book, but only on the CD-ROM?

I think another case of where someone made compromises in order to stay with the publisher.
But, of course, the publisher did allow the CD-ROM to be distributed with the book. There are always compromises between a publisher and an author. Look, Deseret Book is not an academic press. It is not surprising or nefarious that they don't publish content with a largely academic approach to a subject.

Last edited by pelagius; 02-29-2008 at 05:15 PM.
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 05:17 PM   #29
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelagius View Post
But, of course, the publisher did allow the CD-ROM to be distributed with the book. There are always compromises between a publisher and an author. Look, Deseret Book is not an academic press. It is not surprising or nefarious that they don't publish content with a largely academic approach to a subject.
The reason I haven't bought this book is because I don't want to read a CD-ROM. If he can't get his material published in a book, well then, maybe me not reading it is a price he'll have to pay. He should just give the CD-ROM book away and not sell it.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 05:24 PM   #30
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
The reason I haven't bought this book is because I don't want to read a CD-ROM. If he can't get his material published in a book, well then, maybe me not reading it is a price he'll have to pay. He should just give the CD-ROM book away and not sell it.
You should let him know how you feel. He will probably re-consider.