cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2008, 05:27 PM   #1
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road
Default The Genius of Mormonism

I just thought of yet another reason why Mormonism is a superior form of Christianity.

For plain vanilla Christians, the main thing that a doubting Thomas can struggle with would be things like the divinity or teachings of Jesus Christ. Those kinds of doubts could put your salvation on the line.

The genius of Mormonism is that Joseph Smith gave us SO MUCH EXTRA STUFF to wonder about (horses in north america, location of BOM battles, etc.) and so much stuff to work on (callings, etc.) that we don't have time to doubt Christ or his teachings.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 06:38 PM   #2
splitbamboo

splitbamboo is on a distinguished road

I'm not sure where you're going with this, but I'll add something.

Yesterday my wife and children went to the funeral of the brother of my sister-in-law (yeah, she bailed me out again).

Anyway, the Baptist minister preaches salvation by grace. The dead guy professed a belief in Christ once upon a time and now he's saved, taking harp lessons.

To take this further, adding insult to injury, the minister goes on about the spirituality of the deceased and family. We're not sure where the minister even came from. We're sure the family hasn't stepped into Church in years. My brother left the Church (any church) behind when he left home after high school. That was 32 years ago.

My wife (as an overworked and underpaid wife, mother of six, and RS president), is now thinking it's time to make a switch (so to speak). She says, "what's with this works stuff if we can get in with just a professed belief?" She wants to know where this works stuff comes from. I quote the typical James stuff and she asks why the two thoughts (works vs. grace) She says this is stupid. And why'd we get saddled with the works option?

I didn't have any good answers but I'd love to give away my four year old primary class (the hardest calling I've ever had and that's with just four students and a team teacher). My guess is that it's not going to happen anytime soon...
splitbamboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 06:50 PM   #3
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitbamboo View Post

Yesterday my wife and children went to the funeral of the brother of my sister-in-law (yeah, she bailed me out again).

Anyway, the Baptist minister preaches salvation by grace. The dead guy professed a belief in Christ once upon a time and now he's saved, taking harp lessons.

To take this further, adding insult to injury, the minister goes on about the spirituality of the deceased and family. We're not sure where the minister even came from. We're sure the family hasn't stepped into Church in years. My brother left the Church (any church) behind when he left home after high school. That was 32 years ago.

My wife (as an overworked and underpaid wife, mother of six, and RS president), is now thinking it's time to make a switch (so to speak). She says, "what's with this works stuff if we can get in with just a professed belief?" She wants to know where this works stuff comes from. I quote the typical James stuff and she asks why the two thoughts (works vs. grace) She says this is stupid. And why'd we get saddled with the works option?

I didn't have any good answers but I'd love to give away my four year old primary class (the hardest calling I've ever had and that's with just four students and a team teacher). My guess is that it's not going to happen anytime soon...
I assume this is TIC and you are very aware of all the awesome blessings you receive because of the work part that those in the Baptist church don't get.

You have better kids, a better spousal relationship, more money, more friends, better health. If you don't have all these things better than everyone else, it is because you aren't doing enough or have a bad attitude about doing the work.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 06:55 PM   #4
splitbamboo

splitbamboo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
I assume this is TIC and you are very aware of all the awesome blessings you receive because of the work part that those in the Baptist church don't get.

You have better kids, a better spousal relationship, more money, more friends, better health. If you don't have all these things better than everyone else, it is because you aren't doing enough or have a bad attitude about doing the work.
Thanks. More guilt. Got to keep up with the Jones (Smiths?)

(TIC--does this help?)
splitbamboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 06:59 PM   #5
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Thanks. More guilt. Got to keep up with the Jones (Smiths?)

(TIC--does this help?)
Guilt is good. It motivates. Glad I could help.

(TIC)
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 07:03 PM   #6
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Works make us better people. Works should make us happier people. That is, if we're doing these works with the right attitude.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 07:07 PM   #7
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudphudCoug View Post
I just thought of yet another reason why Mormonism is a superior form of Christianity.

For plain vanilla Christians, the main thing that a doubting Thomas can struggle with would be things like the divinity or teachings of Jesus Christ. Those kinds of doubts could put your salvation on the line.

The genius of Mormonism is that Joseph Smith gave us SO MUCH EXTRA STUFF to wonder about (horses in north america, location of BOM battles, etc.) and so much stuff to work on (callings, etc.) that we don't have time to doubt Christ or his teachings.
I thought you were screwed if you decided the BOok of Mormon wasn't what JS claimed it to be.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 07:16 PM   #8
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I thought you were screwed if you decided the BOok of Mormon wasn't what JS claimed it to be.
I don't think the BOM is necessary for salvation. That's my whole point. It's a companion to the Bible, but it doesn't replace the Bible. The advantage of having the BOM is it gives you something new to occupy your doubts so that you don't have time to doubt critical teachings from the New Testament.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 07:31 PM   #9
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudphudCoug View Post
I don't think the BOM is necessary for salvation. That's my whole point. It's a companion to the Bible, but it doesn't replace the Bible. The advantage of having the BOM is it gives you something new to occupy your doubts so that you don't have time to doubt critical teachings from the New Testament.
Is that doctrine or folklore? Cite? For any prophet or apostle quoted please explain why this individual's statement qualifies as anything other than pure windbaggery. Please identify the place and time the statement was made, and the office the speaker held at the time. Please note that Brigham Young, Mark E. Peterson, Bruce R. McConkie, Alvin R. Dyer, Spencer W. Kimball, Joseph F. Smith and Harold B. Lee are highly suspect and disfavored sources here.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 07:37 PM   #10
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Is that doctrine or folklore? Cite? For any prophet or apostle quoted please explain why this individual's statement qualifies as anything other than pure windbaggery. Please identify the place and time the statement was made, and the office the speaker held at the time. Please note that Brigham Young, Mark E. Peterson, Bruce R. McConkie, Alvin R. Dyer, Spencer W. Kimball, Joseph F. Smith and Harold B. Lee are highly suspect and disfavored sources here.
I think Sooner has already established he is a religion unto himself.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote