cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2013, 04:55 AM   #1
realtall

realtall is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to realtall
Default BYU v VT

Anybody else catch this one? Tyler Haws scored 42 points to power BYU past VT 97-71. Notable: Tyler passed his father's(Marty Haws), career high of 40 set against Siena in 1989.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...inia-Tech.html

Something was a little surreal about watching Marty watching Tyler score all of those points. During my freshman year, 1987-88, Marty was a junior point guard for the cougars. I remember that year BYU set a team record for consecutive victories. I think that they opened 18-0 with Marty, Michael Smith, Andy Toolson et al tearing up Wyoming & Fenis Denbow and the rest of the conference. It was very exciting at the time. Then the team slowly fell apart during the last part of the season. No significant injuries, they just didn't play with the same intensity. It was like watching the air being slowly let out of a tire. They ultimately lost, I believe, in the semis of the WAC tourney & the 2nd round of the NCAA tournament. Kind of a strange ending.

It was a special team, at least for a while.

Ah, memories.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:13 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

BYU played a good game against Virginia Tech, who lacked hapless.

I remember that BYU team well. You neglected to mention a really key cog on that team, Jeff Chapman. Probably the second best player on the team behind Michael Smith. IIRC, BYU was undefeated and ranked #3. The #1 and #2 teams had lost that week, and if BYU was to win against Alabama St. (?), they would have likely been ranked #1. They lost on the road. And then it became a little up and and down and the team underachieved.

Since the Ainge heroics were before my time, that was the last great season for BYU basketball only to be matched or eclipsed by Jimmer's senior year. So over 20 years.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:57 AM   #3
realtall

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
BYU played a good game against Virginia Tech, who lacked hapless.

I remember that BYU team well. You neglected to mention a really key cog on that team, Jeff Chapman. Probably the second best player on the team behind Michael Smith. IIRC, BYU was undefeated and ranked #3. The #1 and #2 teams had lost that week, and if BYU was to win against Alabama St. (?), they would have likely been ranked #1. They lost on the road. And then it became a little up and and down and the team underachieved.

Since the Ainge heroics were before my time, that was the last great season for BYU basketball only to be matched or eclipsed by Jimmer's senior year. So over 20 years.
I don't know why I didn't mention Chatman but I remember him well. As I recall, he wasn't that quick and didn't really have a 3-ball but he did shoot the mid-range jumper well and he could jump out of the gym. His turn around jumper was his bread and butter as he could routinely shoot it over whomever was guarding him.

The loss was against UAB. BYU laid a total egg in that one and got creamed. It seemed like it was all downhill from there. To this day, I don't know what changed. I had Gary Trost, who was a freshman on that team, in my MTC district the summer of '88 and I asked him about it. He said that he didn't know either.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:06 AM   #4
realtall

I just found this. As you can see, a really great start(17-0) followed by worse and worse play and punctuated by a belly flop off the high dive.

http://byucougars.com/stats/m-basketball/1987-1988