cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2006, 06:21 PM   #21
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd rank Beck about as good as John Walsh, though I think John Walsh was better than most want to give him credit for.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 06:52 PM   #22
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

As Non BYU Fan I probably put him anywhere from at 11-14. Ok but comparable to Kevin Feterik and Ryan Hancock (how much difference is there between those two when you think about it).
Old 07-11-2006, 03:27 AM   #23
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

With all the Beck stuff lately, I thought I'd bump this post up again.

I'm biased, but I think this is the best analysis done on where Beck fits in in BYU history.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 03:37 PM   #24
El Guapo

El Guapo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos
Go ahead, but don't hold me responsible if BYU-13 (or anyone else who is a John Beck fan first BYU fan second) has a stroke.

I'm a Beck fan. He's a good college quarterback. He was the 33rd best in the nation last year, and I expect him to maybe be top 20 this next year. He's good enough for this offense to be top 20 and that's good enough for me.

I agree he won't be a first tier QB. But I think he will solidly rank among the 2nd tier (not too bad for BYU).

I expect him to have an amazing season. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him in the top 3 in passing yards, completion percentage, quarterback rating, touchdowns, etc. BYU's offense is LOADED, and Beck has improved every year at QB. He was looking VERY good last year and is poised to outdo himself in 2006.

Avoiding injuries will be the key for him. With a great year, he could vault into the top 3 rounds of the draft.
El Guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 03:38 PM   #25
El Guapo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug
I'd rank Beck about as good as John Walsh, though I think John Walsh was better than most want to give him credit for.

I really liked Walsh too. Too bad he left early- a very bad move on his part. He could have been one of the greats.
Old 07-11-2006, 04:06 PM   #26
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guapo
I really liked Walsh too. Too bad he left early- a very bad move on his part. He could have been one of the greats.
I was disappointed to see Walsh leave too. Of course, if Walsh had stayed around, there would have been no Sark.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 04:21 PM   #27
El Guapo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman
I was disappointed to see Walsh leave too. Of course, if Walsh had stayed around, there would have been no Sark.
Is that right? I don't remember exactly, but would Sark's eligibility have run if Walsh had stayed another year? Had Sark used up his redshirt at any point?
Old 07-11-2006, 07:07 PM   #28
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guapo
Is that right? I don't remember exactly, but would Sark's eligibility have run if Walsh had stayed another year? Had Sark used up his redshirt at any point?
Sark was an emergency find due to Walsh leaving early. Sark was the best JC QB in the nation that year, we went after him hard, and got him. Had we not had the starting job open, we wouldn't have recruited him.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 07:15 PM   #29
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Was Notre Dame ranked when the Y defeated them two seasons ago? If not, Beck is 0-for their rival, bowl games, and ranked teams combined. And although I realize it is a 22-man game, a great QB will find a way to win even occasionally.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 09:13 PM   #30
El Guapo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever
Was Notre Dame ranked when the Y defeated them two seasons ago? If not, Beck is 0-for their rival, bowl games, and ranked teams combined. And although I realize it is a 22-man game, a great QB will find a way to win even occasionally.

I don't know how much I agree with that. A QB can only do so much. Was Elway not a great QB until he won the SuperBowl? What if he retired three years earlier? Was he only great for his last few years in the NFL? What about Marino? Is he not a great QB because he couldn't win when it really mattered? Stockton? Malone?

One player is limited in the impact they can have in a team event. Regardless of a single player's heroics, they can't win alone. If BYU had a defense, or anything resembling a defense, last year, they would have won a lot more games (including the Yewtah game). Would that suddenly make Beck great? If so, it is an odd result, considering he would have done the exact same thing in both instances, but in only one would you consider him great.