cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2008, 01:50 AM   #1
FMCoug

FMCoug
Default If Obams is elected President

will he be treated with kid gloves by the media through his presidence for fear of being accused of being racist? Will the Al Sharpton's of the world cry racism over valid criticisim of his performance?

Last edited by FMCoug; 01-08-2008 at 01:56 AM.
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 01:55 AM   #2
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if over the next couple of months the media turns on Obamanation. It loves to build 'em up and then knock 'em down. It makes for good ratings which translates very nicely into advertizing dollars.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 01:58 AM   #3
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Fox seems so busy trying to defame Huckabee and Paul that I don't think they have time to defame the dems yet. As soon as the primaries are over, look for Fox to be all negative campaigning against whoever won the dem nom, all the time.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 02:07 AM   #4
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
Fox seems so busy trying to defame Huckabee and Paul that I don't think they have time to defame the dems yet. As soon as the primaries are over, look for Fox to be all negative campaigning against whoever won the dem nom, all the time.
Some network needs to defame the Dems. It certainly isn't going to be ABC or CBS or NBC or CNN or MSNBC, etc.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 02:09 AM   #5
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Some network needs to defame the Dems. It certainly isn't going to be ABC or CBS or NBC or CNN or MSNBC, etc.
I generally watch MSNBC the few times I watch the news these days, and I expect Chrissy, Scarborough, and Tucker to do nothing but.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 02:22 AM   #6
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
will he be treated with kid gloves by the media through his presidence for fear of being accused of being racist? Will the Al Sharpton's of the world cry racism over valid criticisim of his performance?
I think one of the positives that could potentially come out of an Obama presidency would be improved race relations. I think any kid glove treatment by the press would likely be due to their support of his agenda.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 02:30 AM   #7
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
That's really interesting. The country could face the Notre Dame conundrum: Do we complain about Obama because he's a crappy president? Or if we complain that he's a crappy president is it just evidence of our own latent racism?

Of course, there's also the possibility he'll be a kickass president and no one will complain, but that's where the Ty Willingham analogy sort of breaks down.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 03:03 AM   #8
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

If? Don't you mean when!
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 03:10 AM   #9
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

As usual, FM Coug sounds like a hillbilly. As usual, YOhio is right. One of the good things about Obama being elected president is that everyone, Sharpton-types and race baiting FMCoug-types alike, will have to recognize that since a black man can be elected president in this country race is no longer a limitation to ANYONE reaching the highest levels of success. That will be sobering, when you think about it.

Meanwhile, expecting the press to treat anyone with kid gloves is like expecting lawyers to stop filing lawsuits. Truly, I don't know where all this stuff about blacks being treated with such delicacy comes from. Is that what happened to Michael Vick?

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 03:14 AM   #10
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
As usual, FM Coug sounds like a hillbilly. As usual, YOhio is right. One of the good things about Obama being elected president is that everyone, Sharpton-types and race baiting FMCoug-types alike, will have to recognize that since a black man can be elected president in this country race is no longer a limitation to ANYONE reaching the highest levels of success. That will be sobering, when you think about it.

Meanwhile, expecting the press to treat anyone with kid gloves is like expecting lawyers to stop filing lawsuits. Truly, I don't know where all this stuff about blacks being treated with such delicacy comes from. Is that what happened to Michael Vick?
Seattle, did you see Chris Hitchens wrote a piece today on Obama and race and what it says about us as a people?
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote