cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2008, 10:14 PM   #81
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Now that's just nonsensical. You can dispute the philosophy behind disfellowshipment if you wish, but the idea that the church wouldn't want a person guilty of serious sin (by whatever interpretation) leading a congregation is hardly paranoia.
Like Saul of Tarsus for example.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:16 PM   #82
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by exUte View Post
There are plenty of leaders out there in Mormondom so that the Church doesn't have to call leaders from a pool of serious sinners.....even though they supposedly have repented.
Well, let me clarify. The tone of ER's post suggested to me that he meant present tense (someone who is currently disfellowshipped). Assuming that the person has repented and been fully reinstated, then with rare exception I have no problem with them serving in leadership.

We've been over this already. The church does not notate previous transgressions on local unit records once the term of discipline is complete. Ask any ward clerk. This is no great secret.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young

Last edited by Tex; 07-14-2008 at 10:19 PM.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 10:16 PM   #83
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
See my clarification, peanut boy.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 07-14-2008, 10:18 PM   #84
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
See my clarification, peanut boy.
See Adam's clarification, dumbass.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:20 PM   #85
Tex

Quote:
See Adam's clarification, dumbass.
Yes, they are marked in Salt Lake, not in local records. And I'm quite certain Adam's friend was an exception, as there are bishops who serve who have been disciplined.

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showpos...2&postcount=33

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 07-14-2008, 10:20 PM   #86
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Yes, they are marked in Salt Lake, not in local records, idiot. And I'm quite certain Adam's friend was an exception, as there are bishops who serve who have been disciplined.

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showpos...2&postcount=33
Makes no difference to me, if they wish to narrow the leadership pool.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:30 PM   #87
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Sure the records kept by the local units have no notation, but the ones on the First Presidency computer are annotated with lots of info.
Possibly. I don't know what information they have access to and I'm quite sure you don't either. We've discussed this before ... for legal protection it's wise that the church keep tabs on such things. However, generally speaking it doesn't affect a person's ability to serve except in extraordinary cases.

For example, if a person was convicted (civilly) of child molestation, then excommunicated and at some point rebaptized, it is wisdom to not have that person serve in a bishop's calling. But no local annotation is made to that effect on the local record.

On the other hand, I personally know a bishop who served long and faithfully, despite having a one-night stand decades earlier for which he was excommunicated.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 07-14-2008, 10:30 PM   #88
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
or Alma or Ammon and his brothers or Corianton or Enoch or Nephi or Moses
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 10:37 PM   #89
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Possibly. I don't know what information they have access to and I'm quite sure you don't either. We've discussed this before ... for legal protection it's wise that the church keep tabs on such things. However, generally speaking it doesn't affect a person's ability to serve except in extraordinary cases.

For example, if a person was convicted (civilly) of child molestation, then excommunicated and at some point rebaptized, it is wisdom to not have that person serve in a bishop's calling. But no local annotation is made to that effect on the local record.

On the other hand, I personally know a bishop who served long and faithfully, despite having a one-night stand decades earlier for which he was excommunicated.
Child molestation and willful rape are reasons to keep that info, but then again with the sex offenders registry, maybe the Church could just reference that.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:45 PM   #90
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
The man I knew had been ex'ed for getting blow jobs from women not his wife on business trips. 20 years later he was denied by the First Pres. from becoming a Bishop.
Then I suppose we just have to let the debate rest with the judgment of First Presidency, since the policy is clearly ... unclear.

What is clear however is that for day-to-day operations of a ward and/or stake, a formerly disciplined person carries no asterisk next to his service, has access to all the doctrines and ordinances of the gospel, and can participate in very nearly every conceivable way a person can.

PS. Out of curiosity, how did your friend know he was being submitted for the position of a bishop? Was his stake president so unwise as to issue the call before receiving the clearance?

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young

Last edited by Tex; 07-14-2008 at 10:57 PM.