cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2008, 05:56 PM   #1
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road
Default LDS leaders on gender equality: good quotes

http://deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,695259542,00.html

especially this one:

"The whole gamut of human endeavor is now open to women. There is not anything that you cannot do if you will set your mind to it. I am grateful that women today are afforded the same opportunity to study for science, for the professions, and for every other facet of human knowledge. You are as entitled as are men to the Spirit of Christ, which enlightens every man and woman who comes into the world ... You can include in the dream of the woman you would like to be a picture of one qualified to serve society and make a significant contribution to the world of which she will be a part." (President Gordon B. Hinckley, "Words of the Prophet: Seek Learning," New Era, September 2007, pp. 2-5)

I mean especially that one. I love it so much. I want to paint it on my hypothetical daughter's wall.

Last edited by Levin; 03-07-2008 at 05:58 PM.
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 06:38 PM   #2
Requiem

Requiem is on a distinguished road

Bravo to Prof. Hudson for her courageous remarks. Do you believe our soon to be sainted General RS President agrees that women can actually know more than how to be keepers of sanitized homes and children?
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 06:41 PM   #3
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Bravo to Prof. Hudson for her courageous remarks. Do you believe our soon to be sainted General RS President agrees that women can actually know more than how to be keepers of sanitized homes and children?
Courageous remarks?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 06:42 PM   #4
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I think her comments reflect as much.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 06:51 PM   #5
Requiem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Courageous remarks?
Given the setting at BYU, I thought her focus on quotes that emphasized equality in terms of opportunities and roles demonstrated some courage. Just my opinion. I also appreciated this quote:

"God our Eternal Father ordained that men and women should be companions. That implies equality ... There is no basis in the gospel for inferiority or superiority between the husband and wife. Do you think that God our Eternal Father loves his daughters less than he loves his sons? No man can demean or belittle his wife as a daughter of God without giving offense to her Father in Heaven." (President Gordon B. Hinckley, Jan. 29, 1984)
Old 03-07-2008, 07:02 PM   #6
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Given the setting at BYU, I thought her focus on quotes that emphasized equality in terms of opportunities and roles demonstrated some courage. Just my opinion. I also appreciated this quote:

"God our Eternal Father ordained that men and women should be companions. That implies equality ... There is no basis in the gospel for inferiority or superiority between the husband and wife. Do you think that God our Eternal Father loves his daughters less than he loves his sons? No man can demean or belittle his wife as a daughter of God without giving offense to her Father in Heaven." (President Gordon B. Hinckley, Jan. 29, 1984)
The quotes she used were very good, but they aren't remotely controversial, nor require courage to cite, particularly given who she is quoting.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 07:10 PM   #7
Requiem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
The quotes she used were very good, but they aren't remotely controversial, nor require courage to cite, particularly given who she is quoting.
Agree the quotes are not controversial. I applaud the fact she did not try to artificially counterbalance the equality sentiment with quotes related exclusively to women's homemaking roles. I am certainly not trying to make this a topic of controversy here - purely an observation.