cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2006, 04:25 AM   #1
realtall

realtall is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to realtall
Default BYU 72, Utah 60

For some reason I got an immense sense of satisfaction from the game. Prior to the game, I was SURE that we were going to lose. Just because we always lose to utah. BYU did managed to scrape up the effort for 40 minutes to pull is off, though, which I didn't think that they were going to do.

Add to it that the women won at the buzzer at utah and it was a good day.

Now, my comments on the game itself:

Dawes is just about useless. 6'11" but absolutely LOUSY footwork. Its painful to watch when he tries to make a move because he doesn't have any. His slow feet kind of preclude any sudden moves. He does provide some much needed size which I suppose is the only reason that Rose keeps giving him minutes.

BYU played some really stellar defense, holding the utes to 41% shooting and the utes didn't help themsleves by shooting 57%(8-14) from the freethrow line. Between the two it was a long night for the utes. utah outrebounded BYU 33-29.

Broadus was good and kept pace with the utes in the early going and then made a very nice 3 with 1:20 left to push the lead to 12.

I was very impressed with Plaisted. He didn't shoot a good percentage but made some nifty moves in the paint and a had a couple of clutch shots and freethrows. 12 points and 7 rebounds. Not bad at all, esp for a freshman. He seems to have the quick feet that Dawes lacks(and is the same size). Has he been on/is he going on a mission?

If BYU can play like this on the road, they have a chance at finishing in the top 2 or 3 spots in the league.
realtall is offline   Reply With Quote