cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2007, 07:02 AM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pyramid at Cheops

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,262981,00.html
Old 03-31-2007, 07:10 AM   #2
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

This sems to me to make so much sense that it is hard for me to believe that it has not been considered previously. Looking at the images makes it seem very likely. DO any of you science types out there have nay thoughts as to why this wouldn't be possible?
Old 03-31-2007, 01:37 PM   #3
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
What? It wasn't aliens?

I thought the ramp idea had been accepted for quite a while. I guess this guy is "proving" the details?
Old 03-31-2007, 04:06 PM   #4
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
What? It wasn't aliens?

I thought the ramp idea had been accepted for quite a while. I guess this guy is "proving" the details?
My understanding is that this guy is saying the ramp was part of the structure. IOW, prior theories involved ramps or the equivalent of scaffolding that was not part oif the structure itself, but this guy is showing that it could have been the structure itself that was the mechanism for the raising of the building. It is rather ingenious as he has proposed it. I am no expert, but within my limited experience, other theories did not include a ramp which was incorporated into the building.
Old 03-31-2007, 06:43 PM   #5
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
I am no expert, but within my limited experience, other theories did not include a ramp which was incorporated into the building.
That's a good explanation. Thanks for making sense of this.

I always heard it must have been a temporary ramp made of dirt (sand) and brick with some type of lumber to reinforce it. This new theory seems better.
Old 04-02-2007, 01:01 AM   #6
creekster

I have been thinking about this a lot this weekend (yes, I realizer this is bizarre). I find it amazing that this has never been considered before. As described in the articles, previous theories were based in one of two approaches: either a straight ramp on one side of the pyramid, which would have been almost a mile long as the pyramid neared completion and which would have been almost as time consuming to build as the pyramid itself, or a ramp built around the outside of the structure that was removed when the pyramid was complete. The latter option would have made finish work difficult and would also have required significant labor and materials. There is apparently little direct evidence of either one of these options. So after centuries of thinking about it someone strikes on an idea that is simple and yet so obvious. These sots of gestalts are hard to explain. Where do they come from?
Old 04-02-2007, 03:48 AM   #7
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
I have been thinking about this a lot this weekend (yes, I realizer this is bizarre). I find it amazing that this has never been considered before. As described in the articles, previous theories were based in one of two approaches: either a straight ramp on one side of the pyramid, which would have been almost a mile long as the pyramid neared completion and which would have been almost as time consuming to build as the pyramid itself, or a ramp built around the outside of the structure that was removed when the pyramid was complete. The latter option would have made finish work difficult and would also have required significant labor and materials. There is apparently little direct evidence of either one of these options. So after centuries of thinking about it someone strikes on an idea that is simple and yet so obvious. These sots of gestalts are hard to explain. Where do they come from?
What do you mean by gestalt? You mean epiphany?

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 03:56 AM   #8
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
What do you mean by gestalt? You mean epiphany?

I was just trying to confirm my place on thr non-intellectual list so Rocky will like me more. Yes, I meant epiphany.