cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2007, 04:50 PM   #1
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point
Default any one know the whole story of D&C 7?

THE
DOCTRINE AND COVENANTS
OF THE CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST OF LATTER-DAY SAINTS
SECTION 7
Revelation given to Joseph Smith the Prophet and Oliver Cowdery, at Harmony, Pennsylvania, April 1829, when they inquired through the Urim and Thummim as to whether John, the beloved disciple, tarried in the flesh or had died. The revelation is a translated version of the record made on parchment by John and hidden up by himself. HC 1: 35–36.

Joseph Smith found a parchment written by John?
Old 07-12-2007, 07:16 PM   #2
Chapel-Hill-Coug

Chapel-Hill-Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
THE
DOCTRINE AND COVENANTS
OF THE CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST OF LATTER-DAY SAINTS
SECTION 7
Revelation given to Joseph Smith the Prophet and Oliver Cowdery, at Harmony, Pennsylvania, April 1829, when they inquired through the Urim and Thummim as to whether John, the beloved disciple, tarried in the flesh or had died. The revelation is a translated version of the record made on parchment by John and hidden up by himself. HC 1: 35–36.

Joseph Smith found a parchment written by John?
I've always found this section curious, given that in John 21:22-24, the author implies both that John did die and that rumors regarding him never dying were false. His community, who is responsible for chapter 21 of John, seems to have known that he died.
Chapel-Hill-Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:19 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I would guess that the interpretation is that JS was able to view the parchment through the U&T.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:19 PM   #4
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapel-Hill-Coug View Post
I've always found this section curious, given that in John 21:22-24, the author implies both that John did die and that rumors regarding him never dying were false. His community, who is responsible for chapter 21 of John, seems to have known that he died.
I'm having a hard time seeing how you can interpret it that way.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:21 PM   #5
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
My thoughts exactly. D&C 7 is a real curiosity. Does anybody know if any Church scholars or leaders have tried to take this on?
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:23 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

how does this suggest John died?

Quote:
22 Jesus saith unto him, If I will that he atarry till I come, what is that to thee? bfollow thou me.
23 Then went this saying abroad among the brethren, that that disciple should not adie: yet Jesus said not unto him, He shall not die; but, If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee?
24 This is the adisciple which testifieth of these things, and bwrote these things: and we know that his testimony is ctrue.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:25 PM   #7
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

A translated being still has to "die" eventually.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:26 PM   #8
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The author doesn't imply that he did die but that he would die. In other words, as I understand it, John will one day undergo the same transformation we all do, that of death. But it will not happen until "I come."

So it isn't that he'll never die, but that he won't die until the Second Coming.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:27 PM   #9
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I would guess that the interpretation is that JS was able to view the parchment through the U&T.
Either that or he had the translation revealed to him, which is what I vaguely recall being told at some point in the distant past (how's that for authority?)
Old 07-12-2007, 07:29 PM   #10
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Either that or he had the translation revealed to him, which is what I vaguely recall being told at some point in the distant past (how's that for authority?)
Creekster, this is what the Doctrine & Covenants new testament manual says about the section:

Quote:
The future of the Apostle John, sometimes called “the Beloved” or “the Revelator,” is a mystery to the world. Confusion comes because of the statement in John 21:20–23. Referring to John and speaking to Peter, the Savior said: “If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee? follow thou me. Then went this saying abroad among the brethren, that that disciple [John] should not die: yet Jesus said not unto him, He shall not die; but, If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee?”

From this statement questions naturally arise: Did John die? If not, what is his status? If he did, why did Jesus make the statement? The issue has been debated for centuries among the various Christian denominations, with some scholars saying that he indeed died and was buried at Ephesus, while others believe he still walks the earth. A third school of thought states that even though he was buried at Ephesus, he is not really dead but simply sleeps in the grave until the Second Coming of the Savior. (See Sperry, Compendium, pp. 66–67.)

Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery finally solved the issue through an appeal to the Lord. The Prophet Joseph Smith recorded: “During the month of April [1829, at Harmony, Pennsylvania,] I continued to translate, and he [Oliver Cowdery] to write, with little cessation, during which time we received several revelations. A difference of opinion arising between us about the account of John the Apostle, mentioned in the New Testament, as to whether he died or continued to live, we mutually agreed to settle it by the Urim and Thummim.” (History of the Church, 1:35–36.)

The result of their inquiry is given in the heading of section 7. It is not known whether Joseph saw the parchment referred to and was given power to translate it, or if its contents were revealed to Joseph without his seeing the original source. It makes no difference, since the material was given by revelation to the Prophet.

P.S.

Yes, I agree with CHC's reading of John 21 (not that I have a solution and 3 Nephi 28:6-7 only makes it messier in terms of reconciling that reading as Mormons).

Last edited by pelagius; 07-12-2007 at 07:36 PM.
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote