cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Outdoor / Scouting / Survival
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2008, 07:58 PM   #41
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

just because you spend money for the YM doesn't mean the church accepts it as a "donation." In fact you are getting a supposed tax benefit that probably 99% of YM leaders in this country are not claiming.

What happens when you are released and suddenly instead of the YM budget + 1200 you are adding, there is only the YM budget? Will those leaders be looked on as selfish? Will YM become disenchanted?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 12:38 AM   #42
Burning Bright

Burning Bright is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
just because you spend money for the YM doesn't mean the church accepts it as a "donation." In fact you are getting a supposed tax benefit that probably 99% of YM leaders in this country are not claiming.

What happens when you are released and suddenly instead of the YM budget + 1200 you are adding, there is only the YM budget? Will those leaders be looked on as selfish? Will YM become disenchanted?
You think 99% of YM leaders don't claim YM related expenses as charitable donations? I have a hard time believing that. If they don't, they're foolish. Why wouldn't they?

What happens when I'm not in YMs anymore and there's less of a YM budget? They'll have to scale back or do a fund raiser.

Who's to say I wouldn't contribute to the YMs budget or other ward budget. If I believe the Church is a good cause and if I've taken vows to devote my time and resources to building up the church, then why wouldn't I?

I kind of getting the feeling I've put you on the defensive (or maybe you just like to be contrary). That wasn't my intention. I don't believe it should be the responsibility of YM leadership to fund YMs or Scouting. It's the ward's responsibility. I wouldn't look on anyone as being selfish because I don't know what their circumstances are or what they do donate. The only people who know what my wife and I donate are those responsible handling the donations. I don't advertise it. Then I'd lose my blessings.

My overall personal belief is that if God has been generous with you, you should be generous with others. This includes time, talents and/or resources.

As for young men becoming disenchanted in the future when/if there's less of a budget? Following that line of thinking, let's end the missionary program. Some of the converts they baptize will someday become disenchanted.
Burning Bright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 03:16 AM   #43
Burning Bright

Burning Bright is on a distinguished road

I finally met with my Bishop. He encouraged me to turn in receipts for re-imbursement but prohibited me from making donations to the ward budget (ie, the YM's budget). He said church policy doesn't allow it. He said if I want to donate to the Church, donate to fast offerings or the perpetual education fund or something church approved.

He said the reason is so that all wards will be equal and one won't have extravagant YM activities.

I find it ironic that there's a lot of Bishops squeezing down their YM leaders but mine is instructing me to be frugal and use the YM budget. So that's what I'll do. That and not bother submitting receipts.
Burning Bright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 06:21 AM   #44
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Bright View Post
He said the reason is so that all wards will be equal and one won't have extravagant YM activities.
Damn Communists.
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 03:05 PM   #45
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I personally donated 100 or 200 bucks to the YM for their high adventure trip going towards a vehicle rental. I did ask the clerk if I could pay the ward and then be reimbursed for it, for tax reasons. It ended up that the ward said "we'll pay for it."
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote