cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Outdoor / Scouting / Survival
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2007, 05:28 PM   #1
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Off to camp

I am taking me and my typos and going to hike int he mountains for a week. Western side of the Sierra, north of 80 and east of 20 and doing abotu a 25 mile circuit for thweek. SHould be fun. See you later.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:37 PM   #2
creekster

Had a great trip. 24-26 miles over 4.5 days with ~ 6000 feet in elevation gain. The Sierra are very very dry this year. Many streams from last year are gone this year, leaving a bone dry wash. Saw the largest Rattle snake I have ever seen, 4+ feet long. The lakes are spectacular. Here is a typical scene:

Old 08-06-2007, 09:56 PM   #3
bigpiney

bigpiney
Send a message via AIM to bigpiney

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Had a great trip. 24-26 miles over 4.5 days with ~ 6000 feet in elevation gain. The Sierra are very very dry this year. Many streams from last year are gone this year, leaving a bone dry wash. Saw the largest Rattle snake I have ever seen, 4+ feet long. The lakes are spectacular. Here is a
What exactly was the itinerary? I have only really done one trip up in that area, but I really enjoyed it. I have spent the rest of my time in the Sierra south of Yosemite.

The trip I did up there was a 50 miler from Donner pass to Gold Lake along the PCT.
bigpiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 10:04 PM   #4
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpiney View Post
What exactly was the itinerary? I have only really done one trip up in that area, but I really enjoyed it. I have spent the rest of my time in the Sierra south of Yosemite.

The trip I did up there was a 50 miler from Donner pass to Gold Lake along the PCT.
I'll post a more detalied description later. We were below the PCT. It included Beyers Lakes, Carr lake and Downey lake.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:15 PM   #5
bigpiney

bigpiney

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
I'll post a more detalied description later. We were below the PCT. It included Beyers Lakes, Carr lake and Downey lake.
man I am jealous, looking forward to it.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:50 PM   #6
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Have any of you guys done the Dinky Lakes? We did a 50 miler in there one summer. Well we were supposed to and after a 12 mile hike and stop at the first lake we had ourselves a little mutiny and ended up camping at that lake for 3 nights. The scoutmaster convinced us to do one more hike to another lake and we stayed there two nights before hiking out. Great trip. And great fishing in lakes like the one Creekster posted above.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 11:40 PM   #7
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
Have any of you guys done the Dinky Lakes? We did a 50 miler in there one summer. Well we were supposed to and after a 12 mile hike and stop at the first lake we had ourselves a little mutiny and ended up camping at that lake for 3 nights. The scoutmaster convinced us to do one more hike to another lake and we stayed there two nights before hiking out. Great trip. And great fishing in lakes like the one Creekster posted above.
Dinky Lakes? *chuckling*
Old 08-06-2007, 11:59 PM   #8
bigpiney

bigpiney

Quote:
Have any of you guys done the Dinky Lakes?
Hiked out of there once, went across the Sierra and out of Bishop Pass.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:13 AM   #9
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Have any of you guys done the Dinky Lakes? We did a 50 miler in there one summer.
I've been to a few pretty small lakes, but never any dinky ones. (Sorry, couldn't resist).

That pic that creek posted looks awesome. Can't wait for a report and more pictures. I've spent a fair amount of time backpacking and camping in the Sierra, but never those lakes that you listed. There is some pretty amazing country up there. Its defintitely one of my favorite places.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 06:16 AM   #10
creekster

We started at Rucker Lake, on the shores of which is a camp site owned by a group of LDS stakes. From there we hiked up to Blue Lake, along the Blue Lake FLume trail (which is partially built on the remains of an old mining/logging flume). Stopped for lunch on a beautiful outcrop of granite with our feet dangling over the edge. continued the hike to Beyers Lakes, disappointed to find that the streams we had expected to be available for pumping water were bone dry. We found a couple of fetid pools and prayed our filters were as good as advertised. apparently they were, as no one got sick. Beyers Lakes are beautiful. I have no photos, as I took no camera, but I can find some on line and here is Beyers Lake:

camped at BEyers and enjoyed a nice swim the next day. We then hiked over (and sort of around) the Black Buttes and then down to the Five Lakes Basin, staying at Glacier Lake. Very high and cold water, but no snow unlike last year. Next we hiked to and along Send Ridge and past feeley Lake to Carr Lake. THis was my least favorite. We then hiked down to Downey lake, dropped backpacks and day hiked up to Lookout which had a spectacular view. From there we went back to Downey and enjoyed truly spectacular scenery. I slpet that night on the point of a cliff in the lake with the water below me and the moon and sun rising across the lake. I laid on my bag and watched the bats flit around the surface of the lake in the dusk eating insects. It was beautiful. Except near Carr Lake, we saw no one other than our group.

FOllowing DOwney lake we packed up and hiked back down Grouse Ridge to the far end of the flume trial, back along the flume trail past blue lake and back to Rucker. Even though it was straight down hill (literally straight down the ridge fro ~2 miles) it was hard as it really tired out your legs to keep from running.

We also had some day hikes in the mix. Very nice stuff. Once you are more than a few miles from the end of the roads (as almost all of this hike was) you see few if any people. It is amazing how remote you can feel in the middle of California.

If anyone wants more detail or GPS coordinates or USGS map numbers I think I can provide same.