cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Food
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2006, 01:44 PM   #11
FarrahWaters

FarrahWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

For something a little different, you could try some salsa verde.

1 1/2 lbs fresh tomatillos or 3 (11 ounce) cans tomatillas
5 fresh serrano chilies
3 garlic cloves, unpeeled
1/2 cup cilantro
1 large onion, coarsely chopped
coarse salt to taste

For roasted version: preheat broiler, remove husks and rinse tomatillos (if using fresh) under warm water to remove stickiness. If using canned, drain and measure out 2 cups. Broil chilies, garlic, and fresh tomatillos on rack of broiler pan, turning once until softened and slightly charred, about 7 minutes. Peel garlic, pull off tops of chiles. Puree, season with salt.

For all-raw version: Chop tomatillos and chilies, peel garlic. Combine all ingredients except onion in blender and puree. Rinse onion in cold water, stir into salsa, season with salt to taste.
FarrahWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 04:00 PM   #12
OhioBlue

OhioBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarrahWaters View Post
For something a little different, you could try some salsa verde.

1 1/2 lbs fresh tomatillos or 3 (11 ounce) cans tomatillas
5 fresh serrano chilies
3 garlic cloves, unpeeled
1/2 cup cilantro
1 large onion, coarsely chopped
coarse salt to taste

For roasted version: preheat broiler, remove husks and rinse tomatillos (if using fresh) under warm water to remove stickiness. If using canned, drain and measure out 2 cups. Broil chilies, garlic, and fresh tomatillos on rack of broiler pan, turning once until softened and slightly charred, about 7 minutes. Peel garlic, pull off tops of chiles. Puree, season with salt.

For all-raw version: Chop tomatillos and chilies, peel garlic. Combine all ingredients except onion in blender and puree. Rinse onion in cold water, stir into salsa, season with salt to taste.
MMmmmm. Also a very good salsa.

I served my mission in Mexico, and these two salsas (this one and Fuegote's) were mainstays. Course, there we had avocados and key limes falling off trees everywhere, and produce galore. Here, making up a batch of either of these salsas unfortunately can get a bit pricey.
Old 10-15-2006, 04:21 PM   #13
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
Perhaps. I was acting macho and bravo once on my mission and ate a habanero that was so hot that I drank more than a half gallon of milk to take away the burn, which in turn made me throw up so it burned again. A few hours later my anus was on fire too. It was the most intense burn I have ever experienced. My lips burned, my nose was runny, eyes watering everything. I can tolerate spicy foods and enjoy a good hot salsa but that was the last time I ate a habanero. I don't remember getting sores but I wouldn't doubt that it's possible.
Next time just down a spoonful of Dave's Insanity Sauce.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 05:58 PM   #14
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
Next time just down a spoonful of Dave's Insanity Sauce.
Oh man, that stuff sucks!

Funny story actually. You would have thought I had learned from the habanero. There was a bottle of that stuff that in our apartment that got sent to one of the elders by a relative. We had a district meeting one morning and made breakfast burritos and dared elders to put some of that on. These elders were barely putting drops and it looked like tabasco to me so I gave the bottle a few generous shakes and smothered my eggs with it. It wasn't hot until I got half way through the burrito and then it was just burn and no taste at all. It made me throw up and then I had the squirts all day. I was walking around with a bottle of Pepto in my pocket.

The worse part is I went on splits with the ZL's comp because he was doing interviews for us. So I worked in their area all day. We went to this one house to visit a family that was going to be baptized that Sunday. Well, I had a bad case of bubble gut and asked to use the bathroom. The bathroom door didn't quite shut all the way so I had to stretch my leg to keep it closed with my foot. I then started to tear ass in there like I never have before. The walls were paper thin and the door wasn't quite closed so I turned on the faucet to both the sink and tub to help mask the horrific sound. Every time I tried to get off the toilet it would hit me again. I probably flushed the toilet 30 times and spent a good half hour in there. When I finally emerged the family was just staring at me with a look of disgust, like they just caught me banging their dog or something. My companion for the day was all smiles though and as soon as we left he was rolling. Apparently, the walls were as thin as I had thought.

Farrah's recipe is very good. I actually prefer a nice salsa verde to pico de gallo.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 11:01 PM   #15
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a story also. Elder Rodriguez was 26 and from East Los Angeles, quite accustomed to spicy foods. I told him about my bottle of Dave's, but he mocked my description of its heat. I dipped a toothpick in it and told him to put a little on his tongue, but he snickered and said, "give me a tortilla chip." So I did, and he smothered his chip with it, and ate. He began taking deep breaths, commented on how it was the hottest he'd ever had, and of course drank and drank before leaving.

A half hour later, he asked us to go over and give him a blessing.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 05:47 PM   #16
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
Perhaps. I was acting macho and bravo once on my mission and ate a habanero that was so hot that I drank more than a half gallon of milk to take away the burn, which in turn made me throw up so it burned again. A few hours later my anus was on fire too. It was the most intense burn I have ever experienced. My lips burned, my nose was runny, eyes watering everything. I can tolerate spicy foods and enjoy a good hot salsa but that was the last time I ate a habanero. I don't remember getting sores but I wouldn't doubt that it's possible.
Habanero's are great for cooking, but I would never be insane enough to eat one straight. Just a little hint the best way to calm things down if food is too spicy is to chase sugar with water. Milk products just coat it, but sugar water neutralizes it.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote