cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2010, 04:53 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The dirty little story behind the story

You've heard Obama and other democrats roundly attack the insurance companies. They have become the bogeymen of healthcare.

But in the run up to the healthcare vote, can you recall seeing a single ad from any kind of political group, asking you to call your congressperson to oppose it?

I didn't see one.

Did you see anything from big pharma and insurance companies that were in opposition?

I didn't.

So what's the dirty little story? At least in the short term, big pharma and insurance stand to make huge profits off of Obamacare. Expansion of pharmaceutical coverage as well as closing the donut hole in Medicare Part D? Huge windfalls for big pharma. Shuttling the uninsured through private insurance, at taxpayer's expense? Huge windfall for private insurance. And that's where the insurance mandate comes in. By forcing healthy young people to buy insurance, their concerns about pre-existing conditions are mitigated. All the money, hidden and not, that used to pay for charitable care will now go through the major insurance companies.

That's why you didn't see ads. Because the companies were behind the healthcare reform along with Obama.

Were there things that the insurance companies would have preferred to do without? Sure. But they are not too worried. What this legislation did was appease the big money interests in healthcare. Which means that the opposition to it is just plain ol grassroots conservatism.

Which means that overturning it faces huge odds, because there will be no deep pockets backing such an effort.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 06:15 PM   #2
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

This was a secret to you??

You must not read the same news outlets I do.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 08:28 PM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/03/25...ex.html?hpt=C1

in reviewing what Obamacare achieved, it looks like little for a lot.

So Obamacans create an illusion of a great need, then propose an extremely expensive solution for a problem that doesn't exist.

In the end, we will all lose with higher costs of insurance, worse delivery of care and overall more bureaucracy. Joy to the world. The Dems are pleased to create more expensive, non-productive jobs.