cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2008, 12:14 AM   #51
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
Well that may be. I am just frustrated. It is a sad day for me and my family. Nobody likes being called a bigot. I try not to throw that word around because it is so confrontational. It is a "fighting word", but prop 8 does discriminate against gay people. It prevents them from marrying the person they love. To me that is sad. I am sorry if I am lashing out.
So the prophet and first presidency were wrong? The Proclamation on the Family is not inspired? Ok.

I know many people who ended up severing ties with their family when they got baptized (because the family left them). You probably ran into some of those situations in the mission field. Did you encourage them to join because of their testimony even though it may cost them their familial relationship?
Old 11-06-2008, 12:16 AM   #52
exUte

Quote:
LOL. Thanks for that image.
Just follow your gay friends to the gay pride parades around the country. There are probably even funnier images.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:17 AM   #53
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
There are a lot of people that struggle with things the church teaches against. Would you also advise the alcoholic to stay away from church on the chance that Sister Jones may give a scathing talk on the WoW?

Plus there's that whole testimony thing to deal with. Some still feel a strong spiritual connection with the church and its gospel, in spite of their sexual orientation issues.

Its not as easy as you make it sound.
Big difference between alcoholism which is always destructive, in or out of the Church, and with one's sexuality.

If you can't experience sexuality and spirituality, you will live a miserable existence. Sexuality goes to one's essence, one's life drive.

I would not advise a person this unless I was asked. I don't have an answer regarding what to do with the spiritual connection. You stumped me there.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:18 AM   #54
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Big difference between alcoholism which is always destructive, in or out of the Church, and with one's sexuality.

If you can't experience sexuality and spirituality, you will live a miserable existence. Sexuality goes to one's essence, one's life drive.

I would not advise a person this unless I was asked. I don't have an answer regarding what to do with the spiritual connection. You stumped me there.

This issue could be in the dictionary under conundrum. There is no answer that I can see.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:19 AM   #55
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by exUte View Post
So the prophet and first presidency were wrong? The Proclamation on the Family is not inspired? Ok.

I know many people who ended up severing ties with their family when they got baptized (because the family left them). You probably ran into some of those situations in the mission field. Did you encourage them to join because of their testimony even though it may cost them their familial relationship?
Ex I think it is obvious that I think the first presidency is very wrong on this issue. Your supposed moral high ground does not frighten me. Its like you are trying to paint me into a corner. This corner has a comfy love seat so to speak. I have been comfortable here for a long time.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 12:19 AM   #56
exUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
your error is that nobody is asking the church to make room for them at the church with prop 8 or similar measures. the church's spin included that prop 8 was a threat to religious freedoms. however, the proposition was about allowing or disallowing them to have the same civil rights as heterosexual people who can marry. it has nothing to do with the religious beliefs or organization's rights under the first amendment.

Then you clearly missed the unintended consequences. If you think the gays would stop with them being married by a justice of the peace, then you are wrong. Their agenda is anti-religion because they hate religion that preaches that their behavior is deviant and against the will of God. They just don't have the critical mass to move their agenda forward......yet.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:20 AM   #57
Flystripper

Quote:
Just follow your gay friends to the gay pride parades around the country. There are probably even funnier images.
I am sure there are Ex, I am sure there are.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:20 AM   #58
Flystripper

Quote:
Then you clearly missed the unintended consequences. If you think the gays would stop with them being married by a justice of the peace, then you are wrong. Their agenda is anti-religion because they hate religion that preaches that their behavior is deviant and against the will of God. They just don't have the critical mass to move their agenda forward......yet.
oh brother
Old 11-06-2008, 12:21 AM   #59
exUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
There are a lot of people that struggle with things the church teaches against. Would you also advise the alcoholic to stay away from church on the chance that Sister Jones may give a scathing talk on the WoW?

Plus there's that whole testimony thing to deal with. Some still feel a strong spiritual connection with the church and its gospel, in spite of their sexual orientation issues.

Its not as easy as you make it sound.
How can you support a gospel or a prophet if they say your behavior is against the will of God?
Old 11-06-2008, 12:22 AM   #60
exUte

Quote:
You really believe that? Every gay person I have spoken to about this issue in CA (more then 20 less than 50) says they don't care if people think their marriage is immoral. They are not trying to make everyone believe that gay marriage is ordained from God. What they can't understand is why people, that they don't even know, would care about who they marry. It is mind boggling to them that people are concerned about who others are allowed to marry. Not one of them want to MAKE anyone believe anything. Any intelligent person knows you can't force somebody believe something. What they do want is is people to be tolerant of their decision to love and marry whom they choose.

What legal right would marriage have given them that they don't already have?