cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2007, 03:17 AM   #1
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road
Default Moroni and Paul

What's the Mormon response for Moroni quoting so much Paul?

Grace is sufficient
spiritual gifts
Faith, hope, charity

I've heard explanations, but they always seemed a little weak.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 03:18 AM   #2
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
What's the Mormon response for Moroni quoting so much Paul?

Grace is sufficient
spiritual gifts
Faith, hope, charity

I've heard explanations, but they always seemed a little weak.
The same God revealing similar words to two different prophets. Either that or both Paul and Moroni are quoting Christ.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 06:02 PM   #3
jay santos

Anybody heard of Brant Gardner?

http://frontpage2000.nmia.com/~nahua...i/Moroni10.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Brant Gardner" View Post

With the obvious parallels among the cited verses and the Pauline catalog from 1 Corinthians 12, we have a set of gifts that have two explanations. The first is that this particular set of gifts is finite and therefore known to the various prophets as a virtual set. This is possible, but less likely that the second alternative, which is that when the plate text reference anything similar to the set of the gifts of the spirit, the influence of the Pauline catalog guided the production of the English text. The plate text must therefore have a parallel but imprecise relationship to the English text. The assumption of a tight control over the production of the English text would presume that this particular Pauline catalog had some type of conceptual reality that dictated its use by Mormon as he wrote his text. If it were located only in Mormon it might still be possible that it was an understanding that Mormon had, but the presence of the catalog in Omni, which is part of the small plates and not the product of Mormon’s hands suggests that the similarities are due to the only common hand between the two sets of plates; Joseph Smith the translator.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:09 PM   #4
jay santos

I give you guys a good topic, and no one wants to comment.

I found this. Anybody have an opinion on this? And does anyone know of this study by Harnack, Weiss, and Reizenstein, what it is called or where to find it?

http://www.fairwiki.org/index.php/Bo...from_the_Bible

"But what about the "Faith, Hope and Charity" passage in Moroni 7:45? Its resemblance to 1 Corinthians 13 is undeniable. This particular passage, recently singled out for attack in Christianity Today, is actually one of those things that turn out to be a striking vindication of the Book of Mormon. For the whole passage, which scholars have labeled "the Hymn to Charity," was shown early in this century by a number of first-rate investigators working independently (A. Harnack, J. Weiss, R. Reizenstein) to have originated not with Paul at all, but to go back to some older but unknown source: Paul is merely quoting from the record"
Old 09-10-2007, 03:34 PM   #5
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I found this. Anybody have an opinion on this? And does anyone know of this study by Harnack, Weiss, and Reizenstein, what it is called or where to find it?

"But what about the "Faith, Hope and Charity" passage in Moroni 7:45? Its resemblance to 1 Corinthians 13 is undeniable. This particular passage, recently singled out for attack in Christianity Today, is actually one of those things that turn out to be a striking vindication of the Book of Mormon. For the whole passage, which scholars have labeled "the Hymn to Charity," was shown early in this century by a number of first-rate investigators working independently (A. Harnack, J. Weiss, R. Reizenstein) to have originated not with Paul at all, but to go back to some older but unknown source: Paul is merely quoting from the record"
Gardner's explanation made the most sense to me. Of course, his argument doesn't resolve the question of whether Joseph Smith the prophet as he translated used the phraseology most familiar to him, or whether Joseph Smith the fraud in writing the BOM just lifted right from the New Testament.

That this list pre-dates Paul doesn't answer that question either. I think it lends weight to the idea that Paul and the authors of Moroni and Omni either had a common source or where rehearsing something that most people had heard in their respective times. Of course it doesn't foreclose the possibility that the author of Moroni and Omni was Joseph Smith and that he was quoting Paul.

I guess I'm just trying to say that while it is very interesting, it is evidence that in the end gets interpreted according to what you already believe.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:06 PM   #6
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

why doesn't Fairwiki give a proper citation?