cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2007, 03:11 PM   #11
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
IMO, if fasting makes people feel closer to god, then they should do it. Personally, I've always thought it was silly to think that an action on my part completely unrelated to the problem (such as abstaining from food) could somehow influence god to intervene. If fasting puts someone in a more prayerful, humble, or meditative state of mind, then it's this state of mind that's influencing the outcome, not necessarily the going-without-food.

The idea of bargaining with god (I'll go without food if you'll heal Mr. X) is a slippery proposition.

But I have no problem accepting that it works for others.
I don't see it as bargaining. When I do it correctly, which is not often at all, it simply humbles me, breaks my spirit and makes me more contemplative. It changes my focus.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:23 PM   #12
Mindfulcoug

Mindfulcoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Fasting is not peculiar to Mormons, as we know Jews, Muslims and many other cultures encourages going without food for a time.

During Ramadan, Muslims fast for forty days or so.

Buddhists fast for various reasons, and physicians see benefits for food deprivation.

The short answer is I believe fasting can provide benefits and on occasion I have experienced those benefits.
well..its actually an entire month (9th) of islamic year ..which is 29 days (min)and 30 days (max) , started befor the break of the dawn till sunset .

our fasting literally defined to abstain completely from "food, drink ,smoke, intimacy ,lying , false swear to God and his prophet ..and a few other things..

and its considered as a " give the soul a break" sort of thing
Old 11-06-2007, 03:27 PM   #13
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
IMO, if fasting makes people feel closer to god, then they should do it. Personally, I've always thought it was silly to think that an action on my part completely unrelated to the problem (such as abstaining from food) could somehow influence god to intervene. If fasting puts someone in a more prayerful, humble, or meditative state of mind, then it's this state of mind that's influencing the outcome, not necessarily the going-without-food.

The idea of bargaining with god (I'll go without food if you'll heal Mr. X) is a slippery proposition.

But I have no problem accepting that it works for others.
I have never thought of it as a bargain. It is an act on my part to help bring me closer to God and the influence of the spirit thereby making my prayers more effective (from my point of view) and making it more likely that I can see and understand God's will.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:33 PM   #14
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

As a missionary I decided I was going to fast every Sunday, not just the first Sunday of the month. For 100 straight weeks I fasted for the people that we taught, who committed to attend church. I fasted, asking that they would be able to attend.

It happened five times. Yes in two years, I had *five* investigators attend church, four of whom attended only a single time. One was a nine-year-old and another was an ex'd member looking to come back.

Whether fasting did any good, I don't know. Of all of the people who we taught and invited to church and received commitments to attend, it's hard to fathom a fewer number than five attending.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 03:38 PM   #15
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
As a missionary I decided I was going to fast every Sunday, not just the first Sunday of the month. For 100 straight weeks I fasted for the people that we taught, who committed to attend church. I fasted, asking that they would be able to attend.

It happened five times. Yes in two years, I had *five* investigators attend church, four of whom attended only a single time. One was a nine-year-old and another was an ex'd member looking to come back.

Whether fasting did any good, I don't know. Of all of the people who we taught and invited to church and received commitments to attend, it's hard to fathom a fewer number than five attending.
Where did you serve, Finland?
Old 11-06-2007, 03:39 PM   #16
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

I think the better question might be if it did you any good.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:46 PM   #17
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
I think the better question might be if it did you any good.
The experience contributed to my view that fasting and praying does little good, because regardless of anyone's pleas, God decides who he will bless and when, according to his own timetable.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:47 PM   #18
Archaea

Quote:
The experience contributed to my view that fasting and praying does little good, because regardless of anyone's pleas, God decides who he will bless and when, according to his own timetable.
You sound like you were bargaining with God or trying to hold him hostage, without really approaching him by that manner.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:57 PM   #19
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
You sound like you were bargaining with God or trying to hold him hostage, without really approaching him by that manner.
Do you mean, instead of asking for my investigators to be able to attend church, I should have asked God whether it was his will for them to attend church?
Old 11-06-2007, 03:59 PM   #20
Archaea

Quote:
Do you mean, instead of asking for my investigators to be able to attend church, I should have asked God whether it was his will for them to attend church?
In the way you phrased it, you made it sound like, "Hey God, I'm fasting would you have the investigators attend Church because I'm over-fasting."

That sounds like a bargain to me.

Instead, a monthly, fast to feel weakened, to listen and not to ask.

And then ask, and listen, "what can I do to help those guys show up."

It sounded like bargaining, which in my experience never works. And it's not the purpose.