cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2009, 11:34 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default To Live, a novel by Yu Hua

http://www.amazon.com/Live-Novel-Yu-Hua/dp/1400031869

ordered this book, so I can have another book I don't finish.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:35 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Stuff white people like: ordering books that they will never read, yet somehow the act of buying them allows them to feel superior to other people.

I'm well-practiced.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 11:41 PM   #3
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Stuff white people like: ordering books that they will never read, yet somehow the act of buying them allows them to feel superior to other people.

I'm well-practiced.
I am well-practiced in the art of the half-read book. That book and the books by Gao Xingjian, a Nobel Prize winning dissident author appear interesting. http://www.amazon.com/Soul-Mountain-.../dp/0060936231

Last edited by Archaea; 01-19-2009 at 11:47 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 02:32 AM   #4
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

This looks like a great book. I'm leery though of these noble politicaly themed stories by oppressed authors. I think they get acclaimed regardless of literary merit, especially if the book was banned. I suppose the quality of the translator may matter most.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 02:59 PM   #5
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
This looks like a great book. I'm leery though of these noble politicaly themed stories by oppressed authors. I think they get acclaimed regardless of literary merit, especially if the book was banned. I suppose the quality of the translator may matter most.
I have often wondered why the translator does not receive more acclaim. As a part time translator, I can tell you that no two translations are of the same quality. So if you like the lyrical quality of a translation, it's often because you like the lyrical abilities of the translator.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:38 PM   #6
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I have often wondered why the translator does not receive more acclaim. As a part time translator, I can tell you that no two translations are of the same quality. So if you like the lyrical quality of a translation, it's often because you like the lyrical abilities of the translator.
Actually, this has much changed. Translators often now receive joint billing with the authors, particularly on major works. For example,

http://www.amazon.com/Doctor-Faustus...2555379&sr=1-3

I often see translators praised in reviews as they justly should be. The recent renditions of the Greek epic poems, The Divine Comedy, Beowulf and the Aeneid have been miraculous and praise has been heaped on the translators. Translations of course are also protected by copyright even as older ones have expired. Even in the past certain translations have been recognized as works of genius, as for example, Alexander Pope's version in rhyming couplets, which was recognized as pretty much a whole new work of poetry altogether.

To expand your point here is an interesting web site I found comparing five different translations of the opening of the Iliad.

http://www.editoreric.com/greatlit/t...ons/Iliad.html

But of course we know it's a proven fact that the King James Version is the one God most approves of for the Bible, because those were the words JS saw in the magic eyeglass!

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 04:00 PM   #7
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Actually, this has much changed. Translators often now receive joint billing with the authors, particularly on major works. For example,

http://www.amazon.com/Doctor-Faustus...2555379&sr=1-3

I often see translators praised in reviews as they justly should be. The recent renditions of the Greek epic poems, The Divine Comedy, Beowulf and the Aeneid have been miraculous and praise has been heaped on the translators. Translations of course are also protected by copyright even as older ones have expired. Even in the past certain translations have been recognized as works of genius, as for example, Alexander Pope's version in rhyming couplets, which was recognized as pretty much a whole new work of poetry altogether.

To expand your point here is an interesting web site I found comparing five different translations of the opening of the Iliad.

http://www.editoreric.com/greatlit/t...ons/Iliad.html

But of course we know it's a proven fact that the King James Version is the one God most approves of for the Bible, because those were the words JS saw in the magic eyeglass!
After having translated the first chapter of the poem, I now favor Butler or Fagles translation, as Pope basically took Homer's content and rearranged it for his own purposes. Here's a link to an interlineated version. http://www.ellopos.net/elpenor/greek...ad.asp?homer=9

Last edited by Archaea; 01-21-2009 at 05:23 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote