cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2007, 09:43 PM   #1
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New vs Used

As mentioned in previous posts, this is really my first season riding, but I've experienced a certain amount of stoke thus far and I'd like to continue to pursue it as a hobby.

When I look at bikes, I'm starting to think it might be better to buy a good used bike with quality components vs. a new, but lower end bike.

It seems to me for $700-$800 I can get an ok used bike to bang on this summer and make sure it's something I want to do vs. dropping $1,500 on a new bike off the rack. Thoughts?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/bik/352289361.html

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/bik/348511912.html

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/bik/348508438.html

Last edited by 8ballrollin; 06-15-2007 at 09:52 PM. Reason: links
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 09:56 PM   #2
bYuPride

bYuPride is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ballrollin View Post
As mentioned in previous posts, this is really my first season riding, but I've experienced a certain amount of stoke thus far and I'd like to continue pursue it as a hobby.

When I look at bikes, I'm starting to think it might be better to buy a good used bike with quality components vs. a new, but lower end bike.

It seems to me for $700-$800 I can get an ok used bike to bang on this summer and make sure it's something I want to do vs. dropping $1,500 on a new bike off the rack. Thoughts?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/bik/352289361.html

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/bik/348511912.html

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/bik/348508438.html

I've looked at it like buying a car... you buy it brand new off the lot and the re sale value immediately goes down, you're not sure what kind of defects that specific model may have, but it's pretty and brand new...

my road and mountain bikes i bought this year are 2006's so there's an immediate discount right there. also on my mountain bike, i get free tune ups and free labor on my bike for life... i just pay for parts. i got 'pretty bikes' and new, but like i said being a last years model, i already got a pretty good deal.

used bikes you can get good stuff for cheap, but you really don't know what the owner has done with the bike and how he's maintained it. especially if you don't know exactly what to look for, it may be hard know if you are getting the bike when it's about to have a lot of problems.

i don't know anything though... i'm just a newbie.
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
bYuPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 10:02 PM   #3
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bYuPride View Post

i don't know anything though... i'm just a newbie.
I hate this feeling. All of my other pastimes I've done for a long time. I know what the good equipment is and I don't have to ask for advice. I can shop around, test things out, and buy with confidence.

I feel like an idiot (more than usual) buying a bike.
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 10:07 PM   #4
bYuPride

Quote:
I hate this feeling. All of my other pastimes I've done for a long time. I know what the good equipment is and I don't have to ask for advice. I can shop around, test things out, and buy with confidence.

I feel like an idiot (more than usual) buying a bike.
trust me, i know exactly how you feel. you'll find good advice here however and hopefully you'll find a couple guys at some shops you like that you know you can trust and you'll be fine.
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:11 PM   #5
mtnbiker310

mtnbiker310

Quote:

It's a great way to go, as long as the frame and components are still, as you say, in good shape. If you buy someone else's thrashed components, it costs as much as buying new (or more) to bring them up to snuff.

Interestingly, I've seen used or rental bikes act kind of quirky, as if they've taken on the personality of their old 'master'. Until you break it in to your own style of riding, it can sometimes seem like a possessed bike.
mtnbiker310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 10:13 PM   #6
bYuPride

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbiker310 View Post
It's a great way to go, as long as the frame and components are still, as you say, in good shape. If you buy someone else's thrashed components, it costs as much as buying new (or more) to bring them up to snuff.

Interestingly, I've seen used or rental bikes act kind of quirky, as if they've taken on the personality of their old 'master'. Until you break it in to your own style of riding, it can sometimes seem like a possessed bike.
8ball, don't listen to mtnbiker310... he'll act all helpful in stuff in your quest for a good bike for you and then he'll break your confidence when you get one... he's a jerk!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Old 06-15-2007, 10:28 PM   #7
mtnbiker310

mtnbiker310

Quote:
Originally Posted by bYuPride View Post
8ball, don't listen to mtnbiker310... he'll act all helpful in stuff in your quest for a good bike for you and then he'll break your confidence when you get one... he's a jerk!
Gee, thanks. Such a nice guy. I've bought (lightly) used bikes and had no problem, but have really seen some bikes that friends bought that they swore were possessed.
mtnbiker310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 10:53 PM   #8
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

I've bought both used and new andprefer new but have never had problems with used. The biggest issue is amke sure the bike fits. Buying used you need to be preared to walk away immediately if: 1. the bike does not fit; 2. the compnents or frame are not satisfactory; 3. the price is too high; 4. the bike does not ifit. DId I also mention to make sure the bike fits and reject it if it doesn't even if it is a greta price and in great condiiton?