cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2008, 07:57 PM   #11
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Why did the killers try to be undetectable with the first guy, and then use the most obviously detectable method for Clooney?
Do you mean obviously detectable because it wouldn't have appeared to have been a suicide? Of course, it may have raised murderous suspicions if George ended up appearing to commit suicide at the point. But it seems they could have tried harder, I agree.

It did make for a nice dramatic effect at the start when he was out there looking at the horses, and you're baffled about what is going on and why he is doing that. (and in the end, I still don't understand why he was looking like that at those horses). But hey, I'm no screenwriter.
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 08:06 PM   #12
PaloAltoCougar

PaloAltoCougar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Why did the killers try to be undetectable with the first guy, and then use the most obviously detectable method for Clooney?
Until last week, I disliked that plot element very much, as the difference between the two methods seemed so implausible. Actually, it still does. But after watching it a second time over the weekend, I came up with a quick fix that, if Hollywood would ever think to consult me, would have worked well, I think.

As the redhead noted, a second suicide would have raised suspicions, so they had to come up with something different. Why not, as part of the car bomb idea, leave a clue or two that this was the work of the mob because of unpaid gambling debts? The firm's partners were aware Clooney's character had a gambling problem and that he was in tough financial straits. Presumably the wiretapping evildoers knew this as well (again, a simple script change would provide for this).

Still, a very good movie.

Last edited by PaloAltoCougar; 03-04-2008 at 08:15 PM.
PaloAltoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 08:13 PM   #13
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadGal View Post
Do you mean obviously detectable because it wouldn't have appeared to have been a suicide? Of course, it may have raised murderous suspicions if George ended up appearing to commit suicide at the point. But it seems they could have tried harder, I agree.

It did make for a nice dramatic effect at the start when he was out there looking at the horses, and you're baffled about what is going on and why he is doing that. (and in the end, I still don't understand why he was looking like that at those horses). But hey, I'm no screenwriter.
The hill with the horses is almost the exact same as a picture in silhouette in the book that his son liked, that the head lawyer bought.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 08:23 PM   #14
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
Until last week, I disliked that plot element very much, as the difference between the two methods seemed so implausible. Actually, it still does. But after watching it a second time over the weekend, I came up with a quick fix that, if Hollywood would ever think to consult me, would have worked well, I think.

As the redhead noted, a second suicide would have raised suspicions, so they had to come up with something different. Why not, as part of the car bomb idea, leave a clue or two that this was the work of the mob because of unpaid gambling debts? The firm's partners were aware Clooney's character had a gambling problem and that he was in tough financial straits. Presumably the wiretapping evildoers knew this as well (again, a simple script change would provide for this).

Still, a very good movie.
I think this is exactly what was intended but it was poor execution. I agree they needed to add in a bit more to the movie to make it obvious that the car bomb was an attempt to blame the mob.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 09:05 PM   #15
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
I think this is exactly what was intended but it was poor execution. I agree they needed to add in a bit more to the movie to make it obvious that the car bomb was an attempt to blame the mob.
It also showed how U-North's world was unraveling. First they do a nicely prepared fake suicide. Next they do a car bomb execution. Next they're willing to take $10M bribe. I didn't have a problem at all with the inconsistency in the two attempts. A lot changed between the two murders, also. The first one they had hopes they could completely bottle up the memo and everything. By the second one, they were just in a race against time to complete the settlement.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 01:50 AM   #16
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The hill with the horses is almost the exact same as a picture in silhouette in the book that his son liked, that the head lawyer bought.
I totally missed that about the book. (I had to watch the movie twice because I fell asleep in the middle the first time).

And the mob angle may well have been intended with the bomb, but it should have been more explicit. Maybe it was but ended up on the cutting room floor.
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 03:40 PM   #17
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

Watched this last night for the first time. Why had a 7-year old kid read McCarthy's The Road? The plot-point being, with the very muted gray pallette for the entire movie, that we are near the dead ash world depicted in The Road? No, not that we're near, but that life is always like The Road; a struggle, dog-eat-dog, cannibalistic journey where father-sons trudge on with nothing but the insane hope that comes from the familial bond. Tilda was the cannibal, in The Road, I suppose, guarding the root cellar of living flesh. Tilda should not have won an Oscar over Cate Blanchett from I'm Not There or Saoirse Ronan from Atonement.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote