cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > House Keeping > What should this site be?
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2006, 07:16 AM   #31
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo
No matter how many times I say it, you still refuse to believe that I really don't care what you think.
And yet, you are still here?

What is the motivation for somebody to speak to an audience whose opinion does not matter to him? Is he practicing for the opportunity to someday converse with someone whose opinion DOES matter to him? Is he merely enamoured with the sound of his own voice? Or does he gain as much pleasure from seing one embrace his own ideology as he does from watching others wallow below him in a state of inferiority, such that he is indifferent to their state?

As much as Robin has antagonized board members here, he at least attempts to represent views he holds to be important. I may rarely agree with what he says, but I can at least respect his attempts to discuss them with civility. You, on the other hand, have no interest in participation, but seem rather to be aroused by your own presence.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:53 PM   #32
Robin

Robin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American
And yet, you are still here?

What is the motivation for somebody to speak to an audience whose opinion does not matter to him? Is he practicing for the opportunity to someday converse with someone whose opinion DOES matter to him? Is he merely enamoured with the sound of his own voice? Or does he gain as much pleasure from seing one embrace his own ideology as he does from watching others wallow below him in a state of inferiority, such that he is indifferent to their state?

As much as Robin has antagonized board members here, he at least attempts to represent views he holds to be important. I may rarely agree with what he says, but I can at least respect his attempts to discuss them with civility. You, on the other hand, have no interest in participation, but seem rather to be aroused by your own presence.
Why the interest in other people's motivation? Everyone is here for a slightly different nuanced version of the same reason -- we like to read and blather about the kinds of subjects that get posted here, and we enjoy the quirky collection of personalities that the site has drawn (like moths to a zapper-light?).

Lingo is one of the quirky personalities that, for whatever reason, has decided to pitch a tent in this campground. I doubt I am alone when I say that I am glad that he is here, even though we agree on next to nothing. I like Lingo like I like mustard on my turkey sandwich. I might not ever pull a jar of Dijon out of the fridge and plow through it like it was yoplait, but on a SANDWICH it is perfect.

We should spend more time making people feel like they are at home. Too many good people have already felt like they needed to pack up camp and pitch their tent elsewhere. There have been some unfortunate losses.

Last edited by Robin; 06-06-2006 at 01:56 PM.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 08:06 PM   #33
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin
Why the interest in other people's motivation? Everyone is here for a slightly different nuanced version of the same reason -- we like to read and blather about the kinds of subjects that get posted here, and we enjoy the quirky collection of personalities that the site has drawn (like moths to a zapper-light?).

Lingo is one of the quirky personalities that, for whatever reason, has decided to pitch a tent in this campground. I doubt I am alone when I say that I am glad that he is here, even though we agree on next to nothing. I like Lingo like I like mustard on my turkey sandwich. I might not ever pull a jar of Dijon out of the fridge and plow through it like it was yoplait, but on a SANDWICH it is perfect.

We should spend more time making people feel like they are at home. Too many good people have already felt like they needed to pack up camp and pitch their tent elsewhere. There have been some unfortunate losses.
You're probably right. Sorry, Lingo; I was out of line.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:06 PM   #34
fuegote

fuegote

Quote:
That's fine. You can read whatever you want into my posts. I'm not going to stop you.

All I can do is post what I think in as clear a way as I can.
so why do you think mike's post was whiney? You're reading whatever you want into his posts as well.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:30 PM   #35
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
You're probably right. Sorry, Lingo; I was out of line.
It's okay, AA. No worries.

Quote:
so why do you think mike's post was whiney? You're reading whatever you want into his posts as well.
It's just the ol' "I hate how a private individual runs their own website and I bitch about it as much as I can" routine.

And you're right. I do read what I want into those posts, though you must agree that my take is most likely right on.

Mike is free to refute that as he wishes.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 12:59 AM   #36
fuegote

fuegote

Quote:
It's just the ol' "I hate how a private individual runs their own website and I bitch about it as much as I can" routine.
and yet, here you are bitching about how mike runs his site occasionally. I'm just saying you're the kettle calling the pot black.
Quote:
And you're right. I do read what I want into those posts, though you must agree that my take is most likely right on.
but really....it isn't likely spot on. In fact it's far off. I'm not judging one point of view over the other, I've learned with message boards not to read into anything more than the words on the computer screen. Any "reading" into posts and your going to be wrong 99% of the time
Old 06-08-2006, 02:36 PM   #37
Robin

Robin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuegote
If we take Lingo's word, his post was deleted because it said that Mike is too whiney? I don't think that would be a very good reason to delete a post here. Was there anything more to it than that?
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 03:24 PM   #38
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I added a note when the post was deleted explaining why it was deleted. I can see it when I look at it.

You all can't?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 03:26 PM   #39
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Lingo is an act. He pretends to not care what anyone thinks about him. However if that were true, he wouldn't put nearly as much time and effort into it.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 03:32 PM   #40
FarrahWaters

FarrahWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
My rant here about how a CB post of mine was deleted was in turn deleted. I fail to see how this was in any way against the CG rules, as doing so is a common past time among y'all.

Yet another instance of dicator-like behavior by the CG mods. Or maybe just one. Whoever it was.

You are more like CB than you care to admit.
This has all been very diverting. Thanks for the laughs, and pass the popcorn.
FarrahWaters is offline   Reply With Quote