cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Is being gay a choice?
Yes 5 13.89%
No 24 66.67%
Undecided 7 19.44%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-27-2008, 04:04 PM   #131
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
All animals?

Do animals have sexual preferences?
Scroll up.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 04:05 PM   #132
woot

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
Woot has created a conflation to support his invalid argument. If you expose his invalid thought process he will choose to insult and denegrate as a method of distraction.
Oh the irony.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:08 PM   #133
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
You sure love to declare victory on issues you have no clue about. Animals absolutely do not mate for the purpose of procreation. They mate because their genes demand that they do.
I never declared victory, but if you feel like a loser in a debate on a venue where there is not supposed a clear winner or loser that's not my fault ... and now comes the denegration; I know, I'm not smart enough, don't have the education etc. etc. ... and as for your last two sentences WOW just WOW especially comming from a delcared evolutionist.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 04:10 PM   #134
tooblue

Quote:
Oh the irony.
You siting irony is 'delicious' irony ... you can continue to try and deflect or return to the issues at hand.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:13 PM   #135
woot

Quote:
I never declared victory, but if you feel like a loser in a debate on a venue where there is not supposed a clear winner or loser that's not my fault ... and now comes the denegration; I know, I'm not smart enough, don't have the education etc. etc. ... and as for your last two sentences WOW just WOW especially comming from a delcared evolutionist.
My last two sentences are perfectly logical to someone who understands evolution. If reality was in line with your beliefs, sex wouldn't have evolved at all, since procreation can apparently only occur when the animals understand that is the purpose of sex.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:23 PM   #136
tooblue

Quote:
My last two sentences are perfectly logical to someone who understands evolution. If reality was in line with your beliefs, sex wouldn't have evolved at all, since procreation can apparently only occur when the animals understand that is the purpose of sex.
Denegration served with a lack of understanding of what is being argued ... not a good combination for you woot. I NEVER stated that animals must understand the purpose of sex. In fact I HAVE BEEN ARGUING AGAINST such a notion I have argued that mating is instictive.

Your suggestion that animals are bisexual and or are genetically predisposed to go for one sex over the other in support of your opinion on homosexuality implies awareness in animals.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:25 PM   #137
woot

Quote:
Denegration served with a lack of understanding of what is being argued ... not a good combination for you woot. I NEVER stated that animals must understand the purpose of sex. In fact I HAVE BEEN ARGUING AGAINST such a notion I have argued that mating is instictive.

Your suggestion that animals are bisexual and or are genetically predisposed to go for one sex over the other in support of your opinion on homosexuality implies awareness in animals.
Wow. You misunderstood absolutely everything I said, while doing a 180 in your position after being convinced that it was wrong. You then proceed to tell me that I also flipped sides in order to continue the fight. You seem to be doing fine on your own, so I'm done here.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:31 PM   #138
tooblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiteRider View Post
It seems to me that intelligence comes into play here. The less intelligent an animal, the more likely that it is having sex with something simply because it feels good. I don't think that the dog that humps my leg is a pervert.

I take Nova at its word when they say that the apes that have sex with all other apes in the group are working out stress. Apes are a lot more intelligent than dogs, so it doesn't surprise me that their ideas about sexuality are more complex.

The Nova Ape Genius episode also argued that apes are capable of human-like reason. They gave an example where one ape had his food stolen by another ape. The robbed ape was given the opportunity to deprive the thief of his food (a lever), which he did. When a third party (human) took the ape's food away and gave it to a different ape, the robbed ape didn't pull the lever to deprive the other ape of the food. The experiment suggested a level of reasoning and some sense of justice (morality?).

Also, in the animal kingdom, some animals show exclusive preference to members of the same sex. Those gay penguins come to mind.
See above on how to argue woot -take note!

How much of the apes reaction was Pavlovian due to the presence of a lever, which of course is man made and outside the realm of ape mechanical capabilities?

I have no doubt that many advanced animals are sentient but I am equally certain they are incapable of intellectual reasoning. Again, are animals aware of sex or is the act of mating purely instinctive … regardless, to use such examples in support of an opinion on homosexuality is faulty logic.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:34 PM   #139
tooblue

Quote:
Wow. You misunderstood absolutely everything I said, while doing a 180 in your position after being convinced that it was wrong. You then proceed to tell me that I also flipped sides in order to continue the fight. You seem to be doing fine on your own, so I'm done here.
Suggesting I have done a 180 is only in support of you desire to get out!
Old 02-27-2008, 04:38 PM   #140
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiteRider View Post
Also, in the animal kingdom, some animals show exclusive preference to members of the same sex. Those gay penguins come to mind.
I have always had my doubts about tuxedo-wearers.