cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2015, 04:20 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Good win against USU

Bad first half, until the last bit, with that terrible fumble for the USU quarterback who has been there for what it seems like 10 years. Definitely point shaving on his part.

A loss to USU would have been devastating and demoralizing to the fan base. So it was good to have a nice win.

I'm very curious to see if it is possible that Mitch Matthews might be drafted. Late rounds. Is there a role for a guy like him with size and great hands and the ability to high-point a ball? I guess the question is how that athleticism and speed compares to CBs, LBs, and safeties in the NFL. Maybe it's not good enough. But maybe he gets a shot to show his abilities.

Tanner is good, but he had his ups and downs. A lot of his success was throwing contested jump balls that weren't very accurate (which helped his receivers, because they could adjust faster than DBs). It will be interesting next year, first, if Hill comes back. Then if Hill doesn't, how will Tanner Mangum improve? Making reads to secondary options remains a work in progress.

Defense was below expectations I think this year. Esp. that Missouri game. I was not impressed with our LB play this year.

And yeah, we need a new punter.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 05:01 PM   #2
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Bad first half, until the last bit, with that terrible fumble for the USU quarterback who has been there for what it seems like 10 years. Definitely point shaving on his part.

A loss to USU would have been devastating and demoralizing to the fan base. So it was good to have a nice win.

I'm very curious to see if it is possible that Mitch Matthews might be drafted. Late rounds. Is there a role for a guy like him with size and great hands and the ability to high-point a ball? I guess the question is how that athleticism and speed compares to CBs, LBs, and safeties in the NFL. Maybe it's not good enough. But maybe he gets a shot to show his abilities.

Tanner is good, but he had his ups and downs. A lot of his success was throwing contested jump balls that weren't very accurate (which helped his receivers, because they could adjust faster than DBs). It will be interesting next year, first, if Hill comes back. Then if Hill doesn't, how will Tanner Mangum improve? Making reads to secondary options remains a work in progress.

Defense was below expectations I think this year. Esp. that Missouri game. I was not impressed with our LB play this year.

And yeah, we need a new punter.
I haven't heard anything official, but I really think Mangum's hamstring bothered him most of the season, which is why I think the quality of his pass wasn't the same after he got hurt. He just learned to play through it, IMO. He'll be better next year. The schedule looks pretty crazy though.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 07:33 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Yeah I remember that one game where he was just off that pulled hamstring.

As someone that has pulled his hamstring a few times, I can tell you it really causes problems. And can take many weeks to recover from.
Old 11-30-2015, 08:44 PM   #4
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Yeah I remember that one game where he was just off that pulled hamstring.

As someone that has pulled his hamstring a few times, I can tell you it really causes problems. And can take many weeks to recover from.
Tanner played well considering he didn't have a spring ball to learn the progressions and the offense, he as playing much of the season with a hurt hamstring, and didn't seem to have receivers who could go over the middle much. It will be interesting to see how much more accurate he is with a full spring and summer under his belt.
Old 11-30-2015, 08:56 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I'm ok with Taysom Hill coming back and being the QB.

Before I had thought that I would prefer Tanner Mangum to be the QB and be done with Hill.

But Hill has to be Hill. He has to run (some).

Tanner didn't blow me away the 2nd half the season.
Old 11-30-2015, 09:39 PM   #6
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'm ok with Taysom Hill coming back and being the QB.

Before I had thought that I would prefer Tanner Mangum to be the QB and be done with Hill.

But Hill has to be Hill. He has to run (some).

Tanner didn't blow me away the 2nd half the season.
Tanner's pass didn't have nearly the same zip on it the second half of the season, which I attribute to a nagging injury. I think it's pretty apparent from watching video pre and post injury. In some aspects I think he actually got better like his knowledge of the offense and timing, but he had to do it with less power on his throws because he was favoring his leg when planting to throw. At least, that's what it looked like to me.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 11:54 PM   #7
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
Tanner's pass didn't have nearly the same zip on it the second half of the season, which I attribute to a nagging injury. I think it's pretty apparent from watching video pre and post injury. In some aspects I think he actually got better like his knowledge of the offense and timing, but he had to do it with less power on his throws because he was favoring his leg when planting to throw. At least, that's what it looked like to me.
I worried about his ability to complete the midrange passes. He seemed to avoid those.