cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Outdoor / Scouting / Survival
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2006, 01:18 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hiking...

I talked to one of the old young men leaders who is taking over my job as exec. secr.

I told him I'd like to do a hike-in campout at some point. He says, "hard to do for a kid with a sleeping bag under one arm, and a duffle bag under the other."

I think I just signed on to be the head coach of the Rice Owls.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 02:50 PM   #2
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Does he mean there is a lack of equipment or does he mean they are pansies that can't be expectd to carry their stuff very far? If the latter, that is sad. In our stake we have a week long girls camp and the 13 year old girls go on a 4 day three night 16 mile hike in camp out as part of the week long camp. If they dan do it, so can the scouts. If it's an equipment problem, that is altogether different.
Old 04-19-2006, 02:54 PM   #3
bigpiney

bigpiney
Send a message via AIM to bigpiney

They will learn after the first trip. Your first one should only be at the most 2 miles into the camp. You won't believe how wimpy these kids are until you get started.

If you have fun things to do at the camp, like a good game of capture the flag, the kids should forget preety quickly about the death march you just made them participate in.

If it is a good experience they will want to better prepared the next time around. Hopefully by then they can get a backpack to carry that 10 lb sleeping bag that is rated to 60 degrees.

I don't envy you.
bigpiney is offline   Reply With Quote