cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Outdoor / Scouting / Survival
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2006, 03:40 PM   #1
The_Tick

The_Tick is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to The_Tick Send a message via MSN to The_Tick
Default Priesthood commemoration report....

I actually had alot of fun.

Took my fly fishing gear up. My 1st couns. in my YM Presidency and I are fishing buddies. The camp that we went to had a pond stocked with blue gill, crappie and catfish. I caught about 50 fish in 2 hours. There were a bunch of YM from the stake that came over and watched us. (We did this on a Stake level...) So we took the chance and taught about 20 kids the beginnings of Fly Fishing. They dug it and we had them all cast and strip until they all caught some fish. It was fun.

Went to bed around 10 P.M. woke up at 5 P.M. to cook pancakes, eggs and bacon for 300. I love to cook man.

Left camp at about 8 A.M. to take a 3 mile hike to go fly fishing with a couple of buddies and caught this killer. It was 13" of fun. (If you know anything about fishing native trout, they are special regulation fish: Barbless hooks, catch and release, no bait fishing areas. A fish this size is considered a monster in a creek of this size. Killer fish.)

And here is a picture of me with this sexy beast...

A good time all around.

Tick

P.S. - A funny side note about the Priesthood Commemoration. The LDS church has been told we can never use this camp ever again. Because parents decide to bring their kids to bond with them, but never spend anytime watching them. 1 kid undammed the fishing pond and let out over a foot and a half of water before my buddy and I realized what he had done. 2 kids burned a half cord of wood in 20 minutes after the testimony meeting when everyone else was getting their hot chocolate and rice krispy treats. I went outside and they had a bonfire with 30-35 foot flames. Scary moment. But hey....all the dads were in the dining area shooting the bull when all of this was going on.

Glad they were spending time together!
Old 05-22-2006, 04:02 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

was it private land?

It's a shame that some people have no regard for others. No doubt the offending kids received no more punishment than no x-box for a week.

If it were my kid, I think he would get to witness me smashing the x-box on the driveway.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 04:46 PM   #3
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

It looks like a pretty place where you guys went camping. Too bad you guys don't get to use it any more. But, hey, you're leaving soon, so who cares right?

We also has our campout this weekend. My son and I got shut out in the fishing department, but so did everyone else who was there.

We had a great time. It was interesting to observe that there was only 1 kid in the entire stake that I saw there that was over 14 years old. I don't look forward to the day when my son is not interested in doing that sort of thing with me.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 04:50 PM   #4
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose
We had a great time. It was interesting to observe that there was only 1 kid in the entire stake that I saw there that was over 14 years old. I don't look forward to the day when my son is not interested in doing that sort of thing with me.
I bet the kids were just busy. I remember going to those things my dad, arriving late, and leaving early because my life as a 15-16-17 year old was far too busy.....

Between sports, academia, school events, etc, kids these days are super busy.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 05:28 PM   #5
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11
I bet the kids were just busy. I remember going to those things my dad, arriving late, and leaving early because my life as a 15-16-17 year old was far too busy.....

Between sports, academia, school events, etc, kids these days are super busy.
Fus is spot on. I have a 17 year old and we have a very good relationship but he simply never has time for this sort of program. At the last father and sons (oops, I mean priesthood commemoration) campout I had to choose between seeing my 17 yo son play with his jazz group at a local club and going camping with my 8yo. COuld not be with both and I certainly wasn't going to tell my 17 yo not to go to the gig.
Old 05-22-2006, 07:26 PM   #6
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose
Our ward had 2. You were just too snobby to come over.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote