cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2006, 09:01 PM   #11
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11
Interesting how we view things so differently on so many different subjects. (not specifically soccer, on all things, and all posters here)

Before the game against Ghana the US had ONE shot on goal. You heard that right, one shot on goal. They played poorly against an overhyped Czech team, played tought against a decent Italian team and played ok against an underrated Ghana squad.

The yellow cards/red cards weren't that big of a deal, and as disappointing as the penalty in the box was, I don't think it was a European conspiracy, as it was one of the better judges.

It boils down to this, the US does not have a striker, Landon is highly overrated, their skills are marginal at best, (did you see the way they moved the ball?), and their coaching is subpar. This idea that US soccer has improved drastically over the past twelve years has been bunked.

I agree they played poorly against the Czechs. That was just a bad game, no question. They absolutely redeemed themselves against Italy, though. The Italians have a fantastic team, and the US was completely in control of that game. They owned the midfield. I don't know how you can claim the two redcards weren't a big deal. The entire complexion of the game changed after those cards. Rather than being able to be aggressive, the US was forced to play defense for the second half. Furthermore, they lost Eddie Pope and Pablo for the Ghana game!

They played well against Ghana too, for the most part. Ghana is very underrated, I think. They destroyed a solid Czech team.

The US had a very tough draw, and they did fairly well. Without the two cards against Italy, they may have even advanced. We will never know.

I do agree that Donovan is overrated. I get so frustrated with his game. He looks timid on the field and rarely attacks the defense in any competent way. Beasley also looked very unenthusiastic for most of the Cup.

Too bad. The US really relied on those two getting shots off. Losing Pablo was a big deal for them.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 09:12 PM   #12
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Three cheers for Ghana! Does it make me unpatriotic to want Ghana to win? I really could care less about our soccer team and it means so much to Ghanaians. I find myself always rooting for the little guy.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 09:36 PM   #13
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11
This idea that US soccer has improved drastically over the past twelve years has been bunked.
I can't agree with you here. The U.S. made the final 8 in the '02 cup. That was a far cry from performances past. I agree more with Hoya on this one. I think we had a decent team that drew a tough group and had some bad breaks.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 09:50 PM   #14
fuegote

fuegote

However, MLS players outplayed their counterparts for the US team. We had three (going up to 4) players in the EPL, a couple in the Bundisliga and one MLS Star who I can't wait to give hell for disappearing in Germany (donovan).

the Only MLS crap man was our boy Eddie Pope.

for the out of state players, Convey, Gooch, and Bocanegra really impressed me.