cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2008, 07:58 PM   #21
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimal View Post
But then why don't they have a problem with other forms of birth control?
Because the initial, thoughtless impulse is ALWAYS to resist progress. Then when it becomes inconvenient to hold fast to the conviction they ALWAYS yield.

There is the usual sexist component as well. I bet there's no injunction against women getting their tubes tied, a much more invsive and risky procedure.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 08:01 PM   #22
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Because the initial, thoughtless impulse is ALWAYS to resist progress. Then when it becomes inconvenient to hold fast to the conviction they ALWAYS yield.

There is the usual sexist component as well. I bet there's no injunction against women getting their tubes tied, a much more invsive and risky procedure.
It's in the Handbook, so we are free to disregard.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:49 AM   #23
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Can anyone tell me the LDS Church's policy on women getting their tubes tied as birth control? Thanks in advance.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 01:39 AM   #24
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Almost no mention. I wager in ten years, all of these policy recommendations or guidelines will be eliminated.
Old 07-21-2008, 02:05 AM   #25
danimal

danimal is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Can anyone tell me the LDS Church's policy on women getting their tubes tied as birth control? Thanks in advance.
If I remember correclty, the heading is under "vasectomy" but it lumps together all "surgical sterilizations," so it's the same.
Tobias: You know, Lindsay, as a therapist, I have advised a number of couples to explore an open relationship where the couple remains emotionally committed, but free to explore extra-marital encounters.

Lindsay: Well, did it work for those people?

Tobias: No, it never does. I mean, these people somehow delude themselves into thinking it might, but...but it might work for us.
danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 06:35 AM   #26
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
I will join your ranks within the next two or three months. I am open about it conversation so the Bishop might hear about it from via the grapevine, I reckon I will ask him in ward council just to make the Relief Society President uncomfortable.
It's a great ice breaker with the women "Hey you wanna see my scar".

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 12:44 PM   #27
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

"Do you know how hard it is to go through 3 vasectomies? Snip snap, snip snap, snip snap." - Michael Scott
DrumNFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 07:46 PM   #28
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
I'm going to thread jack a little, but I sometimes think that we have become the Pharisees in some ways. In Christ's time the law had become so thoroughly developed that there was a law for just about everything. One could count on it to prescribe nearly every aspect of ones life.

Christ spends a lot of time in rebuke of the Pharisees not because they don't fulfill the law, but because they have become so focused on the minutia of the law that they lose sight of the "weightier matters."

Matthew 23:

23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.
24 Ye blind guides, which strain at a gnat, and swallow a camel.

He chided them for praying on street corners to be seen. He taught them that it was lawful to do good on the Sabbath (even if this was in violation of their law). When asked what the great commandment in the law is, he answered loving God and loving ones neighbor.

Joseph seemed to echo this idea when he talked about teaching correct principles and allowing self governance.

I guess my concern is that the more "laws" we have, particularly with respect to minutia, the more likely we become simply do these and omit the weightier matters: judgment, mercy and faith. What had ought to make us peculiar and set us apart as members of Christ's church? If asked, in my perfect world, it would nice to be able to answer "we are merciful, quick to love and slow to condemn, we cloth the naked and feed the beggar, we constantly seek to good to all men."

I fear that our most distinguishing characteristic (in our behavior not in our doctrine) is still the WOW.

I guess I sometimes feel that the more we are required to do or not do by the law, the more likely we are to feel self satisfied in the fulfillment of the smaller points and fail, as the Pharisees did, to understand that the law is not end but a means. Not a checklist, but a path. The end, the path, is to being like the Savior, which primarily, in my opinion, means loving all as He did and serving and lifting the least among us. Those things that do not point to this end, in my opinion, are not the things that are going to save us and the more of these little things there are for us to think about the more likely we are to believe that they will.

These are my ramblings this morning.
This was brilliant.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:26 PM   #29
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
I probably wouldn't get a vasectomy because what if my wife passed away and I got remarried to a hot little thing who wanted to have my children?
Been there, done that. Except for the "passing away" part - substitute with divorce.

Funny thing is, because of her health issues which strongly discourage her from having children, my ex-wife actually did approach me a couple of times about getting a vasectomy. But then she just went the abstinence direction instead.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 02:30 AM   #30
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

you can't ring iron, shooting blanks.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote