cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2009, 04:43 PM   #31
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I'm familiar with the quote, and I also know you think it grants you license to say whatever you like about the church or its leaders.

A point of view that concludes Eyring's April First Presidency message contradicts scripture is a point of view that deserves re-evaluating.

PS. I do appreciate you channeling Obi-Wan:
I don't know about "license," but I don't think what I've said on this topic is of much eternal significance. I'm certainly not "speaking evil" of President Eyring, nor would he be "speaking evil" of me if he told me he thought I was in error on something. President Eyring does and says many things that I agree with, and I have no problem sustaining him.

If he came to my house in need of refreshment, I'd be happy to pour him a glass: "For truly I tell you, whoever gives you a cup of water to drink because you bear the name of Christ will by no means lose the reward" (Mark 9:41).
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Last edited by Sleeping in EQ; 04-30-2009 at 04:47 PM.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 05:42 PM   #32
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
I don't know about "license," but I don't think what I've said on this topic is of much eternal significance. I'm certainly not "speaking evil" of President Eyring, nor would he be "speaking evil" of me if he told me he thought I was in error on something. President Eyring does and says many things that I agree with, and I have no problem sustaining him.

If he came to my house in need of refreshment, I'd be happy to pour him a glass: "For truly I tell you, whoever gives you a cup of water to drink because you bear the name of Christ will by no means lose the reward" (Mark 9:41).
Red herrings, all. No one has suggested your comments are of "eternal significance" or that they constitute "speaking evil," (why is that in quotes?) and I'm thrilled that you are willing to give a thirsty Elder Eyring a glass of water. All of which are beside the point.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 05:50 PM   #33
Sleeping in EQ

Quote:
Red herrings, all. No one has suggested your comments are of "eternal significance" or that they constitute "speaking evil," (why is that in quotes?) and I'm thrilled that you are willing to give a thirsty Elder Eyring a glass of water. All of which are beside the point.
So what, then, is the point?
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

Old 04-30-2009, 07:39 PM   #34
Tex

Quote:
So what, then, is the point?
As I said: it's a bold allegation to say Elder Eyring's First Presidency message contradicts scripture.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 04-30-2009, 07:49 PM   #35
Sleeping in EQ

Quote:
As I said: it's a bold allegation to say Elder Eyring's First Presidency message contradicts scripture.
Bold in what sense? Bold like Lea & Perrin's steak sauce? Bold in that the Danites are now going to come after me? Bold because I have just done a twisting backflip over the Sarlac pit?

Old 04-30-2009, 07:53 PM   #36
Tex

Quote:
Bold in what sense? Bold like Lea & Perrin's steak sauce? Bold in that the Danites are now going to come after me? Bold because I have just done a twisting backflip over the Sarlac pit?
Bold, like suggesting that the Force is just a bunch of little prokaryotes called Midichlorians.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 04-30-2009, 07:54 PM   #37
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Bold, like suggesting that the Force is just a bunch of little prokaryotes called Midichlorians.
oh boy, talk about bursting my bubble. this thing in itself pretty much made me want to draw and quarter George Lucas.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 08:08 PM   #38
Sleeping in EQ

Quote:
No worries. Midichlorians are just Lucas-speak for intelligences.

Last edited by Sleeping in EQ; 04-30-2009 at 08:18 PM.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:35 AM   #39
Taq Man

Taq Man is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Apparently, Henry Eyring does. His message is titled "Teaching True Doctrine". Here's another worthy snippet:
This is yet another effort to tell the members to read only what we tell you to read, study only what we tell you to study, ponder only what we tell you to ponder, or you will lose the guidance of the Holy Ghost, read lies, and open yourself to the deceptions of Satan.

Its like a cop standing on front of an accident telling the people "Move along..nothing to see here.

Last edited by Taq Man; 05-01-2009 at 01:40 AM.
Taq Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 09:24 PM   #40
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Somehow I don't think you are going to browbeat SEIQ on this one. Your point is well taken that when we find the brethren not to be in accord with other truth it ought to raise the red flag that we may be wrong. On the other hand, I don't think anything SEIQ has quoted was said with a wink. I think it means just what it says.

I think that Elder Eyring's counsel to stay close to the trunk of the tree so to speak is not new. I also think that there is a real distinction to be made here between teaching and personal study. There is a great deal which I know, thinking about and believe that would not ever come out of my mouth as an instructor. In some ways I feel that I have earned what I know and that something is lost if it is simply given. I don't mean that as arrogant, I just don't know where people are on their journey and don't assume that they can easily assimilate things that have taken me years to assimilate and understand.

I understand Elder Eyring to be saying, stay close to what is known in your teaching and don't go too far into speculation. I think there is plenty that is known that is interesting and that many are not aware of so I don't need to speculate as a teacher. Maybe I misread him, but I don't think he just called for the GD to be tossed and replaced with the Sunbeams manual. I don't think simple in this context means infantile or patronizing. Not saying anyone said that, just my thoughts.