cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2009, 06:18 AM   #1
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Has your view of the church

changed drastically since the advent of this site?

In what ways, if any?
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 03:32 PM   #2
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11 View Post

In what ways, if any?
I wouldn't call it a drastic change, but it did make me aware of a curious subculture (or counterculture?) in the church that I hadn't recognized before.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 04:15 PM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

In what ways, if any?
Not much. It exposed nuances within the lives of other members, as opposed to the silly window dressing members put up in their Sunday activities.

This is entertainment for the most part, fun but not to be taken too seriously.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:20 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I would say, for me, the most profound change has occurred because of the internet in general, not this website.

And that is that there is a wide diversity of belief and opinion among Mormonia, including people who hold views similar to my own.

Just sitting in Sunday School, I did not really have that impression.

Moreover, I believe the trend in the church is towards heterodoxy, and Prop 8 really brought out some things I didn't expect to see--run of the mill active members getting on the net, non-anonymously, and expressing their strong disapproval for the church's position. I'm not sure that occurs 25 years ago.

Hammers only fall on one nail at a time. When there are thousands of nails, hammers get discouraged.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 04:56 PM   #5
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I would say, for me, the most profound change has occurred because of the internet in general, not this website.

And that is that there is a wide diversity of belief and opinion among Mormonia, including people who hold views similar to my own.

Just sitting in Sunday School, I did not really have that impression.

Moreover, I believe the trend in the church is towards heterodoxy, and Prop 8 really brought out some things I didn't expect to see--run of the mill active members getting on the net, non-anonymously, and expressing their strong disapproval for the church's position. I'm not sure that occurs 25 years ago.

Hammers only fall on one nail at a time. When there are thousands of nails, hammers get discouraged.
I agree with your observations about the internet opening eyes. It remains to be seen how the culture of the Church changes.

One of your observations will be interesting to be watched, that our activities are often subpar. With so much variety and entertainment available, the sloppy, boring affairs will no longer capture the imagination of members. So the burden to provide quality will become an increasing challenge.

But I agree the power of the hegemony will dissipate, and Church culture will become quite different over time.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:01 PM   #6
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I agree with your observations about the internet opening eyes. It remains to be seen how the culture of the Church changes.

One of your observations will be interesting to be watched, that our activities are often subpar. With so much variety and entertainment available, the sloppy, boring affairs will no longer capture the imagination of members. So the burden to provide quality will become an increasing challenge.

But I agree the power of the hegemony will dissipate, and Church culture will become quite different over time.
I disagree with you (big surprise).

The church cannot be expected to compete with modern entertainment. I am reminded of an investigator we had a while back. He was a born-again Christian who really struggled with the fact that joining the church meant no more guitars and lead-singers jamming out on stage. The hymns were just too boring.

We're not here to entertain folks, least of all the youth. We're here to raise a righteous people with strong testimonies of the truth. There are fun ways to do that, and I endorse them. But we're not going to be able to compete with the pomp and show that the world offers. Those who come to the gospel will have to accept that the rewards for doing so are more sublime.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 03-31-2009, 06:24 PM   #7
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I disagree with you (big surprise).

The church cannot be expected to compete with modern entertainment. I am reminded of an investigator we had a while back. He was a born-again Christian who really struggled with the fact that joining the church meant no more guitars and lead-singers jamming out on stage. The hymns were just too boring.

We're not here to entertain folks, least of all the youth. We're here to raise a righteous people with strong testimonies of the truth. There are fun ways to do that, and I endorse them. But we're not going to be able to compete with the pomp and show that the world offers. Those who come to the gospel will have to accept that the rewards for doing so are more sublime.
Perhap my inarticulate expressions confuse you.

It would not be possible to put together media quality productions but slipshod stuff often seen won't cut it either. We can and should do better.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:15 PM   #8
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Perhap my inarticulate expressions confuse you.

It would not be possible to put together media quality productions but slipshod stuff often seen won't cut it either. We can and should do better.
Help me out here ... what slipshod stuff are we seeing so often? Legacy? The Testaments? Seminary videos of the early 90s? Savior of the World? Light of the World?

I doubt the church is planning on bringing back the Free to Choose filmstrips.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 04-01-2009, 04:00 PM   #9
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

In what ways, if any?
I used to believe that apostasy on a large scale in this modern age of transportation, communication and centralized curriculum was impossible. I don't believe that any longer. I see that the internet is the new avenue for sowing the seeds of spiritual discontent, making the church in people's own personal image; one that conforms more conveniently with mainstream religious and political thought.

The tares are in the process of being gathered up.

Last edited by Indy Coug; 04-01-2009 at 04:17 PM.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 04:02 PM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
I used to believe that apostasy on a large scale in this modern age of transportation, communication and centralized curriculum was impossible. I don't believe that any longer. I see that the internet is the new avenue for sewing the seeds of spiritual discontent, making the church in people's own personal image; one that confirms more conveniently with mainstream religious and political thought.

The tares are in the process of being gathered up.
i.e. the church is stagnant, and its the malcontents' fault.

The church is the stone rolling down the hill that cannot be stopped. Except by the internet.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote