cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2015, 05:41 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default When I look at my daughter

I am concerned that down the line she will not feel like the church is worth her time and effort. Or that if she does attend, it will be so out of grudging duty.

Because she will feel out of place. Unwanted. Unneeded.

That she can be a dynamic leader in her non-church life, but not so in her church life.

I think we have this dynamic right now where the women of the church, for the most part, don't want to do more. I'm talking about the older women. The unsatisfied women have already left.

These girls have no role models in the church of leadership and compelling though. For me personally, the only female church leaders that were interesting were Chieko Okazaki and her cohort. She was the like the female Uchtdorf. But she's long gone now. In fact, the clock has been rolled back, and it's hard to imagine someone like her serving in church leadership now. Someone that independent who speaks her mind.

I like to think that this will play out a different way. That there will be a new era. And that the expanded role of women will usher in a renaissance of spiritual power and blessings. Imagine receiving a blessing from your mother. Or your sister. Or your daughter.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 03:54 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I am concerned that down the line she will not feel like the church is worth her time and effort. Or that if she does attend, it will be so out of grudging duty.

Because she will feel out of place. Unwanted. Unneeded.

That she can be a dynamic leader in her non-church life, but not so in her church life.

I think we have this dynamic right now where the women of the church, for the most part, don't want to do more. I'm talking about the older women. The unsatisfied women have already left.

These girls have no role models in the church of leadership and compelling though. For me personally, the only female church leaders that were interesting were Chieko Okazaki and her cohort. She was the like the female Uchtdorf. But she's long gone now. In fact, the clock has been rolled back, and it's hard to imagine someone like her serving in church leadership now. Someone that independent who speaks her mind.

I like to think that this will play out a different way. That there will be a new era. And that the expanded role of women will usher in a renaissance of spiritual power and blessings. Imagine receiving a blessing from your mother. Or your sister. Or your daughter.
Will the leaders seize the moment, or will they delay too much? That is the key question. The Church is hemorrhaging good talent, but the corporate leadership techniques ignore good organizational behavioral principles.

Since Prop 8, can you remember an "inspired" moment? Perhaps the joint legislation on the SLC housing legislation, but not much else.

The Church had the chance to nominate one from the fringes of the established membership but wasted the opportunity. Now, if it comes, it might be seen as too little too late.

The Seventh Day Adventists and JWs are surpassing the LDS Church in many ways. If the Church claims continuing revelation, doesn't it seem that some of it would be beneficial and proactive?

I agree that the woman's leaders seem uninspiring. And Chieko was a breath of fresh air who would not be called today.
Old 10-08-2015, 08:45 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Maybe they are inspiring and I just don't pay enough attention.
Old 10-09-2015, 05:49 PM   #4
Archaea

Quote:
Maybe they are inspiring and I just don't pay enough attention.
The reason I believe they miss the mark is they forget the power of symbols.

Leaders serve at least two purposes.

First, they are symbols. Sometimes effective, sometimes ineffective. The selection of milquetoast, indistinguishable people symbolizes the status quo, as if all is well in Zion.

Second, they are administrators, which on a daily basis, upper management perceives as their primary role. In this role, upper management desires to have people who will make no waves and will follow directions to a "T". Thus, selecting the same sorts again and again makes sense. You want look alike Mormons, you can pump them out this way.

The downside is denying the beautiful empowerment of somebody breaking the mold, and empowering the members outside the core of Utah and outside the core of white Americans.
Old 10-09-2015, 07:24 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I wish neylan mcbaine was a GA.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:29 PM   #6
Archaea

Quote:
I wish neylan mcbaine was a GA.
A nice choice, but not in our lifetimes.
Old 10-16-2015, 02:15 AM   #7
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Hello.
Old 10-16-2015, 12:38 PM   #8
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
Hello.
Greetings Bite of the Apple.