cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2006, 04:23 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I'm sorry, some people are just plain evil

...advocating the killing of women and children.

What is particularly sick is that 187_Skillz (slang for "murder skills") is an active soldier.

http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=1999570

Many Americans have lost their moral compass. That's not suprising. I guess I expect more of Mormons. I probably shouldn't. Are you listening Jay Bybee?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 04:43 AM   #2
realtall

realtall is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to realtall

That was just a tad over the top.

The quote from the cnn article does illustrate on how deep rooted the hatred for jews generaly & Israel specificaly has become in the palestinian & arabic cultures.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:05 AM   #3
DirtyHippieUTE

DirtyHippieUTE is on a distinguished road

Are you sure he was advocating or just pointing out the reality of the situation?

I made a similar comment... http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=1999582

Once you start a war women and children are going to get killed. Israel claims they are trying to "minimize" the collateral damage but we can see how well that is working.

Unfortunately, there are only a couple of points of view on the issue.

1- They should hold off
2- They should attack

I think there are some who want to side with Israel but can't handle the idea of women and children getting hit. I don't think Israel is doing anything the US hasn't done. We just have more control over what gets to the media.

I can't formulate an arguable opinion. I can understand how Israel feels but I can also understand why the Palestinians.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:07 AM   #4
DirtyHippieUTE

Oops... Didn't read the Joshua post.

I guess he was advocating.

BTW... 187 Skillz claims his name is his call sign. He is on a warthog crew and apparently is quite accurate with the 187.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:35 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyHippieUTE
Oops... Didn't read the Joshua post.

I guess he was advocating.

BTW... 187 Skillz claims his name is his call sign. He is on a warthog crew and apparently is quite accurate with the 187.
Double entendre is a free pass?

His posts are consistently nauseating. His moniker reflects his mentality.

Your argument would hold more water if his expressed views were significantly different than the associations his moniker engenders.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:43 PM   #6
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters
Double entendre is a free pass?

His posts are consistently nauseating. His moniker reflects his mentality.

Your argument would hold more water if his expressed views were significantly different than the associations his moniker engenders.

I thought for sure that his name was a double meaning as well Mike. In fact, for the longest time I was sure that it was only the 187 as in murder. I actually thought that it was funny that Jefe allowed it... it would be like somebody' name being "Puta" or something.

Anyways, I have seen pictures of his plane which is the 187th squadron on it.

He has claimed that he knew not the other meaning of 187... whether or not you believe it, I don't know.

I do know that I appreciate him being willing to go and serve our country. I can't imagine actually being over there and fighting. I'm sure that he has his views based on more of a first hand experience. While I haven't read the thread yet, I usually tend to give Skillz a little bit more slack than those who haven't been over there and lived this stuff first hand.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 02:49 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

"I have served in Iraq" is not a moral argument.

If you can't make a convincing moral argument (written down), then I don't care what your experience is.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:59 PM   #8
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
...advocating the killing of women and children.

What is particularly sick is that 187_Skillz (slang for "murder skills") is an active soldier.

http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=1999570

Many Americans have lost their moral compass. That's not suprising. I guess I expect more of Mormons. I probably shouldn't. Are you listening Jay Bybee?
I was completely horrified. To be so cavalier about violence, so eager to conduct it, is evil.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 03:13 PM   #9
DirtyHippieUTE

Back the bus up... I just got on the same page as everyone else... I didn't read the part of IvAggie's post that said, "Some of you were surprised that I should suggest Israelis kill women and children too. They're not doing it to be barbarious. They are doing it for their own survival."

Based on Mike's post I thought we were looking at something in 187's post.

Quote:
With regard to 187's call sign... I climbed his tree about this a few months ago. He claims that...
- He was given the call sign
- 187 is his squadron
- Skillz refers to his shooting accuracy
- He had no idea that 187 was associated with murder
- Upon being notified of the double meaing he offered to change it
- Jefe wouldn't let him change it

It is possible (if not probable) that he is full of crap on one or all points but he came back with a possible explanation so I gave him the benefit of the doubt.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:19 PM   #10
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

Good for him to be willing to change it, but why on earth would Jefe not allow him to change it?

Also, I have a problem with 187's follow up posts. Yes, war is brutal and accidents and other issues (bomb a building with terrorists and some civilians are killed) can happen and can be expected. But I have a problem with the attitude being 'Well, they kill our women and children, so we should kill their women and children.' I have a huge problem with that.

In a war, civilian casualties occurs but it should not be a war strategy to systematically plan on killing women and children. Thats wrong on many levels. The Israelis pride themselves on great war technology...well go after the terrorists, go after their buildings but what does it help to kill children? All it will do is further the hatred that many neutral people in that region feel toward Israel.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote