cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Finances
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2008, 07:22 PM   #1
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I think one of the big minuses of this approach is that it can lead to entitlement and ultimately disappointment.

My personal opinion, you don't want to have to share responsibilities with a medical resident for whom residency is his/her first job in life.

No struggle.
There are also big pluses. Like having your kids not be saddled with a huge debt when they graduate. Giving them opportunities that I never had. Honestly, for how many mormons is the time they go their mission the only time they live outside of Utah? By having a college fund for your kids they are more apt to do a study abroad, work in DC for a congressman or woman. Go to an out of state college. Be more apt to study something that is not just a way to make money but gives them pleasure.
Old 10-03-2008, 07:25 PM   #2
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
There are also big pluses. Like having your kids not be saddled with a huge debt when they graduate. Giving them opportunities that I never had. Honestly, for how many mormons is the time they go their mission the only time they live outside of Utah? By having a college fund for your kids they are more apt to do a study abroad, work in DC for a congressman or woman. Go to an out of state college. Be more apt to study something that is not just a way to make money but gives them pleasure.
Are you sure you want your son working for a DC Congressman as a means of getting pleasure?

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 07:29 PM   #3
Mormon Red Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Are you sure you want your son working for a DC Congressman as a means of getting pleasure?
Good point... maybe he can be a boy toy for some sara palin lookalike in 20 years.
Old 10-03-2008, 07:29 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
Kids that grow up "rich", how well do they do if they end up "poor"?

anyone here have fabulously wealthy extravagant parents, but are now 35+ and poor with little prospects for a "wealthy lifestyle"?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 07:30 PM   #5
Mormon Red Death

Quote:
Kids that grow up "rich", how well do they do if they end up "poor"?

anyone here have fabulously wealthy extravagant parents, but are now 35+ and poor with little prospects for a "wealthy lifestyle"?
Define Rich...and "wealthy lifestyle"
Old 10-03-2008, 07:10 PM   #6
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
In 2005, Harvard was 41k for one year.

In 2020, using Tom's inflation calculator, that will be about 60k.

Of course, college tuition tends to increase faster than inflation.

60k x 4 years = 240k
3 kids 240 x 3 = 720k

That's a bundle to save. I ain't doing it.
We have already latched on to one of the girls as our college candidate. The other two will be funneled toward a career in the food service industry.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 07:29 PM   #7
NorCalCoug

NorCalCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
In 2005, Harvard was 41k for one year.

In 2020, using Tom's inflation calculator, that will be about 60k.

Of course, college tuition tends to increase faster than inflation.

60k x 4 years = 240k
3 kids 240 x 3 = 720k

That's a bundle to save. I ain't doing it.
I recently attended a conference where we had the top VISA economist give a presentation on the short and long term expectations for the US economy and one thing he touched on that I thought was VERY interesting was in the area of education. He said that there's a very large generation in the college age group right now (17-25 IIRC and due to baby boomer generation?) that is working it's way through the educational system and that college enrollment levels in this country on going to take a large hit in coming years and that many smaller colleges, etc will have difficult times staying afloat and that education prices will more than likely come down or stagnate.

Not sure if that will actually happen or not but interesting......

Last edited by NorCalCoug; 10-15-2008 at 07:31 PM.
NorCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 07:33 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalCoug View Post
I recently attended a conference where we had the top VISA economist give a presentation on the short and long term expectations for the US economy and one thing he touched on that I thought was VERY interesting was in the area of education. He said that there's a very large generation in the college age group right now (17-25 IIRC and due to baby boomer generation?) that is working it's way through the educational system and that college enrollment levels in this country on going to take a large hit in coming years and that many smaller colleges, etc will have difficult times staying afloat and that education prices will more than likely come down or stagnate.

Not sure if that will actually happen or not but interesting......
they could come down if prices are responding to market forces and trying to attract students. Or they could go up to make for the lost numbers. Experience tells me they will go up.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:55 PM   #9
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes I have. I believe an education is important enough that I am willing to pay for them to get it.

But it's contingent on them choosing not to go to Iona or one of those snotty Ivy League schools.

Ivy League schools because they are snotty bastards and Iona because it's for degenerates.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 09:57 PM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Yes I have. I believe an education is important enough that I am willing to pay for them to get it.

But it's contingent on them choosing not to go to Iona or one of those snotty Ivy League schools.

Ivy League schools because they are snotty bastards and Iona because it's for degenerates.
There are three of us in my family. The two boys for whom nothing was paid for are college graduates. The one who has had many, many semesters paid for is not.

Maybe if your kids don't think a college education is important enough to work and pay for, you've lost already.