cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religious Studies

Old 08-07-2008, 09:12 PM   #51
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Let's see if we can get this thread back on track. Good job hijacking it, apologists.

Dan, I've never heard you express your conviction on the apologize for racism or not issue. Do you have a conviction? Should the LDS Church issue a full apology and repudiation of its racism and racial aparthied? Should it address and repudiate the kooky (mark of Ham) creationist dogma (ripped off from racist Northern European folk tales, and resurrected by the Confederacy in the lead up to the Civil War) that was cited by past prophets and apostles as the rationale?

If so, why? Is it for AA's in general? For LDS AA's? Or the venal or just plain ignorant LDS who say no apology is necessary or the racism was God's will or who just want the past to be swept under the rug and lied about?

Perhaps a more nuanced point: Does the racism in fact continue as there is no coming to terms with the past and the foregoing views remain dominant in the institution?

If you are opposed to a full apology and repudiation, why?
Why don't you have a look at what I have already said in this thread and see if that answers your question. What I have said here already should at least be as starting point before I answer that compound and prolix question.

Is there anyone here at this point who doesn't understand the argument you are making? Maybe you really just want to talk SU. But if you seeking converts, don't bother with me. I've internalized what you are saying and it ought to be obvious I'm anything but a mullah.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:20 PM   #52
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
Why don't you have a look at what I have already said in this thread and see if that answers your question. What I have said here already should at least be as starting point before I answer that compound and prolix question.

Is there anyone here at this point who doesn't understand the argument you are making? Maybe you really just want to talk SU. But if you seeking converts, don't bother with me. I've internalized what you are saying and it ought to be obvious I'm anything but a mullah.
Nice dodge.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 11:34 PM   #53
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Nice dodge.
Speaking of dodges . . .
Old 08-08-2008, 06:25 PM   #54
T Blue

T Blue is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
Speaking of dodges . . .
SU, the king of dodge ball.
T Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 06:30 PM   #55
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Hey ER,

You may be interested in this thread where we discussed the apology issue:

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?p=180325
Old 08-11-2008, 04:35 PM   #56
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Hey ER,

You may be interested in this thread where we discussed the apology issue:

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?p=180325
Thanks for the link.

You make some very good points, IMO. I think Santos sums up my overall feelings on the issue:

"The majority group doesn't get to tell the minority group to shut up and stop complaining about petty things. So if this was deemed very important by a group of LDS then I would be inclined to agree and to give them what they want."

We have all these white people on here saying it's not that big of a deal; forgive me if I'm not all that interested in their perception.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 04:43 PM   #57
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
Thanks for the link.

You make some very good points, IMO. I think Santos sums up my overall feelings on the issue:

"The majority group doesn't get to tell the minority group to shut up and stop complaining about petty things. So if this was deemed very important by a group of LDS then I would be inclined to agree and to give them what they want."

We have all these white people on here saying it's not that big of a deal; forgive me if I'm not all that interested in their perception.
I'm pretty sure at least one of the people in that group isn't white.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote