cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Fitness and Wellness

Old 08-31-2008, 05:42 PM   #1
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road
Default Disneyland Half Marathon

Was this morning. Finished in 2:29:30, 36 minutes faster than last year. I was a little disappointed we did not get to run through Angels Stadium this year. I have to find out why. Hopefully next year I can be under 2 hours like uber marathoner Fuegote.
"Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State. "
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 06:37 PM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Congrats on running and finishing.

Seeing your time in the half marathon really makes me wonder if marathoners are human. That they can run full marathons in about the same time as you posted just amazes me.

Please don't take this as I'm giving you a hard time about those folks running twice as far in the same time you did - goodness knows I'd still be on the course for a half marathon until dark - but it's difficult for me to fathom the kind of runners that can run 26 miles in a bit over 2 hours.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 06:54 PM   #3
Coach McGuirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Congrats on running and finishing.

Seeing your time in the half marathon really makes me wonder if marathoners are human. That they can run full marathons in about the same time as you posted just amazes me.

Please don't take this as I'm giving you a hard time about those folks running twice as far in the same time you did - goodness knows I'd still be on the course for a half marathon until dark - but it's difficult for me to fathom the kind of runners that can run 26 miles in a bit over 2 hours.
it is difficult for me to understand as well. I cant imagine going that fast. I am too damn heavy.
"Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State. "
Old 09-02-2008, 05:00 PM   #4
bigpiney

bigpiney
Send a message via AIM to bigpiney

nice job coach. Drop another 36 minutes this next year and you can beat runnercoug.
bigpiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 07:24 PM   #5
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Are these Disney events well done? I've wondered if they're purely just gimmicks to get more people to the park or if they are legit races.
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 07:25 PM   #6
Runner Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpiney View Post
nice job coach. Drop another 36 minutes this next year and you can beat runnercoug.
That sounds like something Waters would say.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:03 PM   #7
bigpiney

bigpiney
Send a message via AIM to bigpiney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner Coug View Post
That sounds like something Waters would say.
ouch, I take it all back.
bigpiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 03:04 PM   #8
Coach McGuirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner Coug View Post
Are these Disney events well done? I've wondered if they're purely just gimmicks to get more people to the park or if they are legit races.
They are gimmicks for sure. That said, They are the best run races I have done. Water, clif shots and powerade at miles, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12. Medical Tents at mile 3, 7 and 10. Roving medical bikes all along the course. Kaiser has a mini hospital set up at the finish. you run through both parks and downtown Disney. After the parks they have high school bands, cheerleaders, mariachis, hula dancers, boy and girl scouts set up through the streets of Anaheim to cheer you on by name (it is printed on your race bib). Major sponsors which means nice swag. Plus they put on a fitness expo for 3 days before the race. The castle finishers medal is huge as well and they send you a certificate with your time on it about 3 weeks later. It truly is worth it.

Compare that to the provo river half I did a month ago. Water at 3 5 8 12, out of water at mile 5 when i got there. No gels, despite saying they would. no medical, started 15 minutes early while I was sitting in the outhouse. No electronic timing. Nothing in the swag bag and burnt pancakes at the finish.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:17 PM   #9
Runner Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
Major sponsors which means nice swag. Plus they put on a fitness expo for 3 days before the race.
I love swag, it's one of the big reasons I love races. So what did you get?
Old 09-04-2008, 04:20 AM   #10
fuegote

fuegote

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpiney View Post
and me.