cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religious Studies

Old 08-06-2008, 11:25 PM   #31
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
So you think it is too obscure. Others will argue it is too specific. Or too narrow, or broad.

But you're not arguing whether or not it is obscure. You're arguing that it doesn't exist. That means you don't get to quibble over its qualitative value. You're going to have to stare at it and tell me it isn't there.
Game. Set. Match.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 12:24 AM   #32
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
No my point still stands under either definition. You probably haven't read any of it (you do have a reputation to uphold). You certainly didn't read more than a few pages (I know because your question is addressed less than 20 pages in). So you can't possibly know whether it is obscure. Thus you must have thought that somehow its creation in the last 30 years made it obscure. But AA's response is better. He is right. Who cares? You were arguing against existence and it clearly exists.

Last edited by pelagius; 08-07-2008 at 12:26 AM.
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 12:59 AM   #33
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
There is a AA member that joined the church a year ago in our branch. He said that the church's stance pre-1978 didn't matter to him during his conversion because

1. He had an undeniable spiritual witness that the church was true
2. It was a thing of the past
I think the concern is for those for whom this might be an issue. Not for those for whom it isn't.

How many black people failed to join the church in your branch because of the church's pre-1978 stance?

Rhetorical question - of course there's no way to know. But isn't that sort of the point?

I think the real question is how many black people refuse to ever listen to the missionaries in the first place because they know it's a racist church because of the pre-1978 stance?

My feeling is that horse has already left the barn, and an apology wouldn't have a huge effect on the general feeling. However, it might have an effect on a few, and isn't that worth it?

Also, I believe an apology is the right thing, and isn't that worth it?

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 01:01 AM   #34
SoCalCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Why isn't a change good enough as an apology.
Is that what you teach your children? That when they do something that hurts someone else, there's no need for an apology if they've stopped hurting them?

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
Old 08-07-2008, 01:09 AM   #35
SoCalCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
You want a link showing that we've never argued it?

Give me a link that shows that you're not a gay leprechaun wearing a man-shaped robot suit first. THEN we'll give you a link that shows we've never established that the church has no doctrine.
Here he is:

Old 08-07-2008, 03:11 AM   #36
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelagius View Post
I have a few questions about this pamphlet. Why isn't it called Mormon or LDS Doctrine? Why is the word doctrine not in the title? Why can't I find Nephites or Lamanites in the index? Why is there nothing in here about Lucifer's family? About Adam's family? When was it published? Has it been revised?

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 03:18 AM   #37
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
I have a few questions about this pamphlet. Why isn't it called Mormon or LDS Doctrine? Why is the word doctrine not in the title? Why can't I find Nephites or Lamanites in the index? Why is there nothing in here about Lucifer's family? About Adam's family? When was it published? Has it been revised?
Why is there nothing about the number of sands in the sea? Why is not the distance one must hie in order to reach Kolob spelled out in both miles and kilometers? Why are not the events prior to the second coming spelled out in exhaustive, minute-by-minute detail?

And finally, does it exist?
Old 08-07-2008, 03:30 AM   #38
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

And by the way, we're still waiting to hear about your last conference.

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20619
Old 08-07-2008, 05:02 AM   #39
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

When did SU become so boring?
Old 08-07-2008, 05:25 AM   #40
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Why can't I find Nephites or Lamanites in the index?
I think this one is a pretty hard hitting question but I will take a stab at answering it: Because it doesn't have an index.
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote