cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2008, 05:52 PM   #21
LA Ute

LA Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
I imagine in four years that, regardless of what Romney himself has done in the interim, the state of the country will have changed enough that Romney will no longer seem like the ideal candidate that he does now.
I love Mitt. But . . . he is not a natural politician. Palin is. Obama is. Hlllary Clinton is not. Bill Clinton is. Huckabee, although a disgusting person IMO, is.

Mitt simply is not. And I don't know that he can learn to connect with crowds the way the naturals do. If anyone can do that, Mitt can. But we will see.

Remember: In 2004, Barack Obama was simply a new senator who had won a virtually uncontested election. Sarah Palin was the mayor of a tiny town in Alaska. Who knows who will be on the scene in 2012?
Old 11-18-2008, 06:06 PM   #22
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
It is almost as if the rift between the Huckabee/Palin camp and the Romney camp was predictable.

I love the GOP.

You really see a Huckabee/Palin camp. I will be really dissapointed if she is the same vindictive full of herself type Huck is.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 06:35 PM   #23
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
I love Mitt. But . . . he is not a natural politician. Palin is. Obama is. Hlllary Clinton is not. Bill Clinton is. Huckabee, although a disgusting person IMO, is.

Mitt simply is not. And I don't know that he can learn to connect with crowds the way the naturals do. If anyone can do that, Mitt can.
Absolutely. This was his foremost weakness: he doesn't really like people. Or at least he leaves that impression, and in politics, that's not a good impression.

I agree with you that we'll see several new faces, Jindal among them.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 06:41 PM   #24
LA Ute

LA Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
You really see a Huckabee/Palin camp. I will be really dissapointed if she is the same vindictive full of herself type Huck is.
I think Huck is washed up if Palin decides to run in 2012. He may be washed up already.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:56 PM   #25
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
I think Huck is washed up if Palin decides to run in 2012. He may be washed up already.
Unless she entirely overhauls her act, I can't imagine Palin would actually try to run for POTUS. She's just not cut out for it. VP maybe, but prez? Nobody wants a commander in chief who'll wink at foreign dignitaries.

Huck is out of luck all the way around, unless he and Palin run together.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:18 PM   #26
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I was listening to Morning Joe for a bit this morning, and they were talking about Huckabee's role in the next couple of years as potentially being one to screw things up for Mitt. Awfully cynical view, I think, but I don't really care what happens to Mitt. I agree with you that he's not cut out for it.
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 11:06 PM   #27
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadGal View Post
I was listening to Morning Joe for a bit this morning, and they were talking about Huckabee's role in the next couple of years as potentially being one to screw things up for Mitt. Awfully cynical view, I think, but I don't really care what happens to Mitt. I agree with you that he's not cut out for it.
That's certainly what it looks like. I mean, that's exactly what he did once they both dropped out of the primary -- he turned his sights toward blocking Mitt from the VP, actively encouraging his own supporters to lobby against the selection of Mitt.

I'm not the biggest Mitt fan, but I'd much prefer him to Huck or Palin.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:17 AM   #28
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
That's certainly what it looks like. I mean, that's exactly what he did once they both dropped out of the primary -- he turned his sights toward blocking Mitt from the VP, actively encouraging his own supporters to lobby against the selection of Mitt.

I'm not the biggest Mitt fan, but I'd much prefer him to Huck or Palin.
In one sense, I can see why Republicans don't want Mitt, he's not a natural politician and comes across stilted. The communication part and relating to people part is his weakness, not to the level of Bush, but he is still weak in that department. My post is more directed to RHG than Babs.

OTOH, he reveals what the process really is, by his flaw. In the actual mechanics of government he appears effective, discounting for his lack of communication skills.

I can see why somebody is blasee about him, but what about him blows so much that you would dislike so immensely?

To me, he's a smarter version of Obama without the public speaking polish of Obama. He has more credentials. What's his character flaw or personal policy flaw? Mind you I fault him for courting the evangelicals, damn them to hell, but that was a strategic flaw, nobody needs them.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:57 AM   #29
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I can see why somebody is blasee about him, but what about him blows so much that you would dislike so immensely?
There are those who feel that he represents the worst of politics: a fortunate son and opportunist willing to sell out to the highest bidder. His positions have been all over the political map.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:04 AM   #30
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
There are those who feel that he represents the worst of politics: a fortunate son and opportunist willing to sell out to the highest bidder. His positions have been all over the political map.
I challenge you to name a politician today that doesn't fit your description.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote