cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2007, 03:52 PM   #1
Clark Addison

Clark Addison is on a distinguished road
Default Bronco vs. Whittingham

My point may not be valid, as I don't pay that much attention to Utah (I always need to look him up to see if his name is Whittington or Whittingham), but the Utah-Wyoming game demonstrated to me a big difference between Bronco and Whittingham. Bronco is very internal focused. Everything is about the team, and how they execute. In almost every press conference he gives, he talks about how they are not focused on how the opponent will do, but on how BYU will execute. This never changes, whether the opponent is Eastern Washington or Utah.

Whittingham, on the other hand, seems to like to use the opponent to motivate and create an “us vs. them” mentality more than even your typical football coach, which is already quite a bit. Much of what he does seems to be saying to his team, “we’ll show them”. The way he talks about BYU, the way he takes slights, perceived or real, and turns them into motivational fodder, all are consistent with this.

I prefer Bronco’s method (though of course I am biased), but each seems to have its benefits. Bronco gets his team to be more consistent, and very execution focused. Not since the SDSU game in 2005 has there been a clearly inferior team beat us just because we stunk up the joint. Whittingham, on the other hand, seems to have one or two games a year (UNLV, UNM, WY, SDSU) where they are clearly the superior team, but get beat. On the other hand, he is able to get his teams up for big games (BYU, UCLA, bowl games) in a way that Bronco hasn’t.

Aside from his strengths or weaknesses on the football field, Bronco’s style is certainly a better fit for BYU’s culture, both among the fans and administration
Clark Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 04:05 PM   #2
Brian

Brian has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Bronco is #4 on the waiting list to be translated.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:06 PM   #3
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Addison View Post
My point may not be valid, as I don't pay that much attention to Utah (I always need to look him up to see if his name is Whittington or Whittingham), but the Utah-Wyoming game demonstrated to me a big difference between Bronco and Whittingham. Bronco is very internal focused. Everything is about the team, and how they execute. In almost every press conference he gives, he talks about how they are not focused on how the opponent will do, but on how BYU will execute. This never changes, whether the opponent is Eastern Washington or Utah.

Whittingham, on the other hand, seems to like to use the opponent to motivate and create an “us vs. them” mentality more than even your typical football coach, which is already quite a bit. Much of what he does seems to be saying to his team, “we’ll show them”. The way he talks about BYU, the way he takes slights, perceived or real, and turns them into motivational fodder, all are consistent with this.

I prefer Bronco’s method (though of course I am biased), but each seems to have its benefits. Bronco gets his team to be more consistent, and very execution focused. Not since the SDSU game in 2005 has there been a clearly inferior team beat us just because we stunk up the joint. Whittingham, on the other hand, seems to have one or two games a year (UNLV, UNM, WY, SDSU) where they are clearly the superior team, but get beat. On the other hand, he is able to get his teams up for big games (BYU, UCLA, bowl games) in a way that Bronco hasn’t.

Aside from his strengths or weaknesses on the football field, Bronco’s style is certainly a better fit for BYU’s culture, both among the fans and administration
I agree with you. I think that with college football the name of the game is consistency because so much of it is based upon perception. The highs and lows create a cynical fanbase and the national perception of the program will suffer.

Regardless, Kyle is in a must win situation this year in the Y-U game. If BYU can win the MWC outright and go undefeated in a rebuilding year while Kyle goes only 5-3 in conference play, even with his injuries, the U will have lost ground as far as programs go. One can pacify themselves with all the talk of BYU's returning players in 2006, and one can waffle in mediocrity with the "what if's" with respect to the injuries but the reality is coaches are evaluated on things like wins and losses.

However, I estimate Kyle and his Utes know this and they will play that game like caged northern heathens from an apostate nation.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:08 PM   #4
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
But more importantly he is #1 on most wins list for any new coach hired before the 2005 season.

Personally, I like dem apples!
Old 11-13-2007, 04:33 PM   #5
HuskyFreeNorthwest

HuskyFreeNorthwest is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
#4 is the worst spot to be in though because I am #3 and I fart alot.
HuskyFreeNorthwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 04:47 PM   #6
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Even though Moses beat Pharoah, he didn't go to heaven for about 40 years. I don't worry about losing Bronco due to his translation.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote